Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MerlinsDad

Jul-16

It's just amazing that so few governors are mandating masks.  We'll see a lot more record setting days if they don't take action.  The link doesn't list the record setting day for Georgia.  Perhaps July 10 with 4484, although it was such a big jump, I think I questioned that number at the time, 

You noted in a post today (Thursday) that Kemp has overridden local masks mandates.  I will comment on that later. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-16

And another state speaks up.  You know how we have "anti-vaxxers"?  We now have "Fake Covid".  ETA I like "Covid Hoaxers" better.

"“We are perpetuating a lie,” one woman who said she has five grandchildren said. “COVID is a hoax. It’s a lie. It’s a political stunt," The Salt Lake Tribune reported"

Utah meeting on masks is canceled when residents without masks pack room
"This is the exact opposite of what we need to be doing," a county commissioner said to boos. "We’re supposed to be physically distancing, wearing masks."

Read in NBC News: https://apple.news/AA7C1xM1BSBiBjquBG85YpA

MerlinsDad

Jul-16

At least one county commissioner had the good sense to remind the group that they were not complying with guidelines.   I have difficulty with those who assert, as that lady did, that it's a fraud, that it's political stunt.  Of course Utah doesn't have the outbreak that Arizona or Georgia has, so she's not yet had a member of the family or a friend or neighbor get really sick or even die from it.

Utah has had 31, 233 cases with 233 deaths and a positivity rate of 8.9,  More than half of the cases and deaths are in Salt Lake County.

They haven't had to call for refrigerated trucks because the morgue is full or get daily reports on the availability of ICU units.

I guess she is still capable of dismissing reality.  After all, if the president can, so can she.

I think it worth noting that the governor of Utah is a Republican.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-16

I agree, I cannot fathom saying 1) this s a hoax or fake news; or 2) the departments of health in 30+ states are deliberately exaggerating the numbers to scare people.  

When did the USA become home to the National Society Of Conspiracy Theory's?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

How quickly we forget.  60 million Americans got H1N1 and the administration at the time did nothing except stop testing so there weren’t any good numbers to talk about in the news.

In reply toRe: msg 380
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

And here in Politico.  An official in the health care front  spoke 2014 spoke about the mess They made of H1N1 and said that he and his colleagues handled it very well.

In reply toRe: msg 381
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-16

Lest anyone think I’m blaming Biden, I’m not. I’m pointing out how futile it is to blame a politician for a viral outbreak.

MerlinsDad

Jul-16

jeri says:  "When did the USA become home to the National Society Of Conspiracy Theory's?"

The earliest I remember was after Kennedy was assassinated and before the Warren Report came out, and I don't that Society has slowed down yet,  They even have a celebrity member in a guy who used to be a reality tv actor.

jeri says: "I agree, I cannot fathom saying 1) this s a hoax or fake news; or 2) the departments of health in 30+ states are deliberately exaggerating the numbers to scare people."

YOu can't help but wonder if a) she has an idea at all of what's going on in the world; b) she watches FOX TV; c)  she believes what the man of 20,000+ lies says; e) she had trouble coping with reality all of her life; f) she has any idea how Trump's miserable failure to cope with reality has contributed to the severity of the pandemic nationwide, even in Utah; g) all of the above.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-16

I'm not blaming DT for the virus, I'm blaming him for ignoring experts and bad leadership.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-16

You might reconsider your example.  60 Million cases of H1N1 and estimates of 12,000 - 18,000 deaths, depending on sources.   A wee bit of difference from 135,000 deaths from Covid.

From the CDC:

CDC Estimates of 2009 H1N1 Influenza Cases, Hospitalizations and Deaths in the United States

During the pandemic, CDC provided estimates of the numbers of 2009 H1N1 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on seven different occasions. Final estimates were published in 2011. These final estimates were that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010 approximately 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (8868-18,306) occurred in the United States due to pH1N1. These final estimates are available at: Estimating the burden of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) in the United States (April 2009-April 2010)External Web Site Icon, Shrestha SS, et al., Clin Infect Dis. 2011 Jan 1;52 Suppl 1:S75-82.

Below are links to the different estimates published, including the final estimates. 

April – October 17, 2009 Estimates
April – November 14, 2009 Estimates
April – December 12, 2009 Estimates
April 2009 – January 16, 2010 Estimates
April 2009 – February 13, 2010 Estimates
April 2009 – March 13, 2010 Estimates
Final Estimates Published in May 2011External Web Site Icon