Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should your police department be defunded?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jun-10 by Showtalk; 4131 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jun-10

Should your police department be defunded?
  • Yes, I think cutting police funding will make people feel safer and heal my c...0  votes
    0%
  • Yes, I want to see resources reallocated1  vote
    6%
  • Yes, we don't need a police department1  vote
    6%
  • Yes, all three above0  votes
    0%
  • No, I think the police should be fully funded but get better training6  votes
    37%
  • No, I think police departments should clean out the bad cops3  votes
    18%
  • No, I think we should continue as we are with more conversations0  votes
    0%
  • Absolutely not!3  votes
    18%
  • I don't have an opinion0  votes
    0%
  • Other2  votes
    12%
Yes, I think cutting police funding will make people feel safer and heal my c... 
Yes, I want to see resources reallocated 
Yes, we don't need a police department 
Yes, all three above 
No, I think the police should be fully funded but get better training 
No, I think police departments should clean out the bad cops 
No, I think we should continue as we are with more conversations 
Absolutely not! 
I don't have an opinion 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-10

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-10

kizmet1

Jun-10

Race is not a problem here. Very few minorities live here. Two have been elected mayor.
Our problem is being 10 miles from county HQ and getting one to show up, period. Last time anyone came was when we flooded.
A house with burglar camera running as man broke in had a hard time getting cop to come and see the film, take fingerprints and make a report.
BWArtist

Jun-10

Defund should be clarified to Reform. Mainly get private enterprise out of the system. Too many get arrested on minor charges and since they usually are poor and can't post bail, they become  bed units that can  be counted as a profit unit in private for profit systems.

One of the main factors as to why the US has a very high incarceration rate.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-10

That is difficult. The police should take crime reports.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-10

Well, if you look at the three articles I linked to, all from very different sources, each one uses defund.  We can call it whatever we like here but we are not reporters or decision makers.

BWArtist

Jun-11

The right is happy with over leftest hyperbole that exists in the movement. It distracts from what most politically center based people want. That being true reform which takes profit out of incarceration and redirect that money to  social programs that prevent and  or treat the causes of the problem.

The right, which I'm assuming you are supporting , don't have much else going for them with their outdated failing positions. Otherwise the republicans would be falling all over themselves to jump in front and lead this parade. Distort . Tear down. And constrict what the people want, That's the republican way. 

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-11

I’m trying to be polite, which I usually am, but you have no idea what you are talking about or what my position is on this particular subject.  I did not even take a position in the post you are replying to or in this discussion.  Are you in the center?

I heard a real moderate speaking about policing.  I know he’s not a conservative and he tends to side with the left, but when pushed he’s right down the middle.  He said in all his research he found only the fringe left really want to get rid of the police.  The model most people want is more community policing.  Police would come from the communities where they work and would be trained at the ground level. That requires much more funding, not less.  It requires directing funds toward community policing but not taking them from the police budgets.  

I absolutely agree with you that we need alternatives to incarceration for non violent offenders, but what do we do with violent ones?  If someone physically harms or kills another person, they need to pay a debt to society. How do you suggest that happens if not jail time so they might learn new behaviors and not do it again?  As I recall Trump is in favor of letting more people out of prison for drug crimes. He got a woman out who was in prison for life for drugs.  He wants prison reform.  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-commutes-sentence-of-woman-serving-drug-related-life-term-after-kim-kardashian-meeting   But I forget, we can’t ever say anything positive about him because nothing he does is positive. Right?

The biggest problem with crime is mental illness.  People who are off their meds or were never on them do commit crimes and must be removed from the general public until that can be changed or fixed or worst case, paid back through prison or in a mental hospital.

• Edited June 11, 2020 12:35 pm  by  Showtalk