Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should your police department be defunded?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jun-10 by Showtalk; 4130 views.
MerlinsDad

Jun-14

Showtalk says "The question is whether the reason was a good one or not. "

I've seen the video from the dashboard cam in the car.  Brooks was fleeing.  I suggest that there was no good reason to kill him. 

I suspect that charges will be filed against the officer.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-14

And yet some articles said he was attacking?  In any case it has been dealt with appropriately.

MerlinsDad

Jun-14

This was just posted by a local tv station at 8:25 a.m. EDT

Rayshard Brooks, the man killed by Atlanta police after a confrontation at Wendy's Friday night, died after two gunshot wounds to the back, the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office said Sunday night.

Brooks died of organ damage and blood loss, the medical examiner concluded after an autopsy.

The manner of death has been classified as a homicide.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-14

Definitely himicide.

MerlinsDad

Jun-14

As I said in an earlier post.  I think the officer will now be charged.  The question I have is what charge?

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-14

Why did the sheriff resign? She didn’t shoot the man or approve of it.

MerlinsDad

Jun-14

It wasn't the sheriff; it was the chief of police -- she stepped down.  She felt responsible for the actions of her subordinates.  And this incident is definitely a heart breaker.

The mayor has said that she will reassign Shields.  I hope she becomes the chairperson of a committee on police policies and procedures, addressing the complaints of the demonstrators.  It is my opinion that she would do an excellent job in that role.

Alfi (THIALFI)

Jun-14

In Georgia, I'd say Voluntary Manslaughter.

But judge for yourself. Here's the statute...
https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-5/article-1/

MerlinsDad

Jun-14

You're probably right.  Thanks for posting.

Showtalk said:

without addressing the root causes behind emergency calls or the part law enforcement plays to ensure public safety could ultimately backfire

Bingo.

And we have traditionally underfunded mental health care for decades, so far too often someone in the midst of a crisis will encounter law enforcement as the "primary care psychiatric role" for which they are not really equipped or trained to deal with.

So things escalate because the subject is not all there in the moment, essentially a "5150" is not possibly capable of understanding or following command. And that's just the mental health angle. Someone having a stroke or other brain damage to certain areas may also be sort of articulate but not really grounded in reality, or could have paralysis or coordination problems.

Ever since a lot of chronically mentally ill were booted out of institutions in the 1980s, many really have just been on the streets, or couch surfed until the behavior issues stressed friends or relatives to the breaking point.