Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are Georgia"s Voting Problems Deliberate Backhanded Suppression?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jun-10 by BWArtist; 1539 views.
BWArtist

Poll Question From BWArtist

Jun-10

Are Georgia"s Voting Problems Deliberate Backhanded Suppression?
  • Yes11  votes
    73%
  • No4  votes
    26%
In reply toRe: msg 1
BWArtist

Jun-10

Chaos in Georgia primary yields 'moment of reckoning' for election officials

New voting machines, trouble with absentee ballots and a pandemic combined to create chaos in Georgia's Tuesday primary. After some voters waited in line mor...

MerlinsDad

Jun-11

I vote yes, no, maybe.

It was a colossal screw-up caused by poor planning; inadequate training on the new machines; the lack of a dry run to make sure everything worked; the absence of large number of older election officials because of Corvid_19; a larger than expected turn out; and too few voting precincts.  The Republican Secretary of State is blaming the Democratic county election boards; and the counties are blaming the SOS.  Above the headline in today's newspaper was an editorial, entitled "Georgia, We Must Do Better."   The headline was "What Went Wrong."

That's what a newspaper is supposed to do .  Tell them to quit pointing fingers and go to work to fix the problem.  I love this sentence:

That shouldn't be an insurmountably hard job ["repairing an embarrassing, intolerable mess"], given the many leaders of government who are quick to proclaim their "get 'er done" credentials.   AJC, June 11, 2020, front page

BWArtist

Jun-12

To me you have to look at this as more of a Dukes of Hazzard moment in our elections. Boss Hogg  finding any which way to discredit the election process overall. And since the republican party of Georgia seems to only be able to win by cheating, I have to look at this as a precursor for laying the groundwork for inserting a dysfunctional aspect in our future presidential election. A different kind of Florida chad to cloud the process. And since our president is looking for any way to circumvent the voting process, including disregarding the factors of the pandemic by demonizing the vote by mail process, you eventually have to come to the conclusion that the republican party is becoming the party more than willing to cheat our voters out of their right to fair elections.

I say we the people need to keep our attention on dishonest tactics to steal our election. Like a hound dog smelling a definite scent.

MerlinsDad

Jun-12

BWArtist says "To me you have to look at this as more of a Dukes of Hazzard moment. 

I never watched the series, but I get your drift.  I don't know if there was a motive in this colossal failure or just a failure to do what needed to be done.  The failure to have enough voting precincts can be laid at the feet of the Republicans in their efforts to make it harder for people to vote, especially certain people and communities. 

BWArtist says ". . . to the conclusion that the republican party is becoming the party more than willing to cheat our voters out of their right to fair election. 

I live in Georgia, I know how many voting precincts they've closed and where they were closed; I know the insistence that a voter have a picture ID before being permitted to vote; I know how few early voting precincts they were; I know that top officials are vehemently opposed to mail in ballots. 

One doesn't come to that conclusion.  It's foregone.  Our current gub'ner was the Secretary of State who unregistered a huge number of voters and who held up applications.  In short, did as much as he could to discourage voting except by the "right" people.  Stacey Abrams wasn't wrong in her claims that the election wasn't "fair."

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-12

You mean they unregistered dead voters or people who were registered to vote in more than one location?  There was a huge scandal closer to me where they found a lot of ballots going to people who had died.  They also found people who had moved and hadn’t cancelled their old registrations. They still didn’t want to clean their rolls.  I would want to see a lot more detail before taking a side.

• Edited June 12, 2020 9:50 pm  by  Showtalk
MerlinsDad

Jun-12

Showtalk says:  "You mean they unregistered dead voters or people who were registered to vote in more than one location?"

That was the explanation given.  Let's say it created considerable controversy given Georgia's history of voter suppression and, as BWArtist pointed out ". . .you eventually have to come to the conclusion that the republican party is becoming the party more than willing to cheat our voters out of their right to fair elections."

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-13

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/stacey-abrams-stolen-election-myth-endures-democratic-party/

The claims of voter suppression rest primarily on the fact that as Georgia secretary of state, Kemp enforced a statute passed by a Democratic-majority legislature and signed by a Democratic governor in 1997. It required the voting rolls to be periodically purged to remove names of voters who were dead, or who had moved away or were incarcerated. Under this law, 600,000 names of people who hadn’t voted in the last three elections were removed from the rolls in 2017 by Kemp’s office

Those who were removed got prior notification in the mail about the impending purge, and they were given a menu of options to retain their registration. Moreover, it took four years to complete the process by which a name was removed. The reason so many names were taken off in 2017 was that a lawsuit by the Georgia NAACP had delayed the routine enforcement of the law for years before the organization eventually lost in the U.S. Supreme Court’s 

• Edited June 13, 2020 9:54 am  by  Showtalk
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-13

Sorry, the font was so smalmimenlarged it but it came out huge. This is also from the previous article.

The other argument that purportedly backs up the stolen-election claim is that lengthy lines caused by the closing of 212 precincts in the state since 2012 deterred Georgia voters from turning out. But Kemp had nothing to do with that, since all decisions on consolidating voting stations were made by county officials. Which means if there were fewer precincts and longer lines in Democratic-majority counties in Georgia, it was almost certainly due to the decisions made by local Democrats, not Kemp or a national GOP conspiracy.

When examined soberly, Abrams’s claims evaporate. Kemp’s win was no landslide, but his 1.4 percent margin of victory didn’t even give her the right to demand a legal recount. Demographic changes may mean that Georgia is trending away from the red-state status it has had in the last decade, but Stacey Abrams lost because Republicans still can turn out majorities there even in years when the odds favor Democrats.

BWArtist

Jun-13

I don't think anything quite points out the true intentions of the republican party than the recent maneuvers made after the recent successful results in the Iowa election.