Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is microwaving food dangerous for your health?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jun-12 by Showtalk; 406 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jun-12

Is microwaving food dangerous for your health?
  • Yes! I won't use one0  votes
    0%
  • I would rather use a stove or oven to heat or cook food0  votes
    0%
  • No, that is ridiculous13  votes
    92%
  • I don't know1  vote
    7%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes! I won't use one 
I would rather use a stove or oven to heat or cook food 
No, that is ridiculous 
I don't know 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-12

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-12

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-12

Excellent. Having worked with radio transmitters and other related hardware for decades, the article reads almost like something I might have written myself.

I'm going through it paragraph by paragraph, and saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yep"

It heats the food by absorption of radio waves, but at that part of the electromagnetic spectrum, heat is the only thing that is dissipated.

When heating up something that might have hot spots, I'll set it on fairly low power and let it heat it for a longer period of time, so the heat from the hot spots can flow to the cold spots fast enough to keep up with the energy dumped into the hot spots.

Otherwise you can end up with, say, a bratwurst that is practically charred in one area while still raw in another.

Another trick is to put the item to be heated in a small bowl of water. The water will distribute any uneven heating from convection, while water trapped in the food is unable to migrate from hot to cold areas. This also absorbs most of the RF energy in the water, heating it up, so the food is indirectly heated.

But those who claim it turns food carcinogenic probably have some snake oil for sale.

kizmet1

Jun-15

After all these years, who cares? All I know for sure is that mine makes excellent poached salmon.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-15

Everything I’ve read says it can leave bacteria in food if there is any there, but it doesn’t kill as many nutrients as traditional cooking does.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-15

I never tried poaching salmon.

kizmet1

Jun-15

Really good.
I prefer steelhead or Atlantic, both with skin on. I use microwave "plastic" or Corningware, both with covers. Sprinkle sea salt on both sides and add about an inch of water. My extra large Sharp has a fish button so I do not know what speed it uses or how long.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-15

It should not be hard to find the right setting.