Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will you be Buying and Reading John Bolton's Finally Released Book?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-17 by BWArtist; 3643 views.
MerlinsDad

Jun-23

That's a very good distinction, and I think that's why Trump's cabinet and advisors worry me so much.  They are intent on weakening our government so it can't do its job and in damaging our country so badly that it will take years to recover.  Trump, Barr, and the complicit Senate are moving us ever closer to an authoritarian government, which, to me, is why the Black Lives Matter movement and the thousands of protestors are so important right now.  It seems to me that the only reason Trump's approval rating stays above single digits is that people either 1) don't understand the implications of the authoritarian government Barr and Trump are trying to put in place or 2)  or don't fear it because they believe that it will be to their benefit.  Although Trump touts the strength of the economy and is willing to risk the lives of many to bring it back to full production, it resembles what was going on in Germany in the 1930s.  Here's an excellent summary of Germany's economic, social and racial policies.https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zw6s7p3/revision/3  It's well worth reading and comparing the major points to Trump's to disguise his authoritarian moves behind a strong economy.   Think about this statement from that history and compare it to what was transpiring before Covid_19.  "Despite the loss of freedom, life improved in Germany for many ordinary people who were prepared to conform in order to have a job and a wage."  I could take each cabinet member and advisor and detail the damage done, but you are as familiar with it as I am.  We've left Stephen Miller out of the discussion, but he is a frightening figure who is managing to stay out of sight during the demonstrations.  We've not talked enough about Barr and what he has done to strengthen authoritarianism.  Look at how the EPA has been weakened; you've mentioned DeVos; look at how public lands have been opened to industrial activities; there are reasons that Trump opposes mail-in voting, it would negate the years of voter suppression achieved by conservatives.  The list is long.  Never has the concept of a democratic republic in the United States been in greater jeopardy than it is right now. 

kizmet1

Jun-23

You ever notice that you seem to use television networks to voice your opinion yet you do not watch tv?
MerlinsDad

Jun-23

The news agencies I cite most often have very good websites so I can read the news and check other sources; or, in this case, a good historical summary of what should be common knowledge.  It was the most concise of the several I found.

kizmet1

Jun-23

Must keep you busy?
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-23

They all write a book and hope to make millions.

MerlinsDad

Jun-23

When I'm not working in the yard, reading, doing photography, helping my wife, or eating and sleeping.

kizmet1

Jun-23

I have to say one thing about him. He certainly has done a good job of getting good (and free) publicity just as it goes on the market.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-23

Yes, he has.

kizmet1

Jun-23

I think you have a lot to keep you busy. Good for you.
MerlinsDad

Jun-23

As a rule, more than I can get done in a day.