Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will you be Buying and Reading John Bolton's Finally Released Book?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jun-17 by BWArtist; 3569 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-18

I also think Bush has grown since his presidency.  I would love to have heard GHW Bush's conversations with Obama.  

I disliked Cheney intensely and Rove was horrid.  I think Bush wanted the war because of his dad; he was way outmatched with Cheney as VP.  At least he could show empathy when our country needed it.  

kizmet1

Jun-19

I feel it has been too easy to forget the tragedy our nation suffered as a whole. No POTUS is prepared.
kizmet1

Jun-19

Times have changed or maybe the staff we have has.
MerlinsDad

Jun-19

Not everyone can afford a computer, and not everyone knows how to use one.  I can't speak to cell phones.  I have one, but it's not internet capable.  Those are expensive.  There's enough poverty and low incomes in the county to create a great demand for the library's computers. 

MerlinsDad

Jun-19

No.  Some have responded well; some have not.

Lincoln was president during a terrible, terrible war, but died before he could tend to the crisis of the aftermath of that war.

Roosevelt handled a depression and a great war.  He receives criticism for both, but in retrospect, he did a pretty good job.

Truman gave the order to drop the atomic bomb.  What a terrible decision to make, but it contributed to ending the war (at least some contend that it did; some do not). 

Johnson had Vietnam, which he did not handle well, but he also managed to push the Civil Rights Act of 1964 through Congress.  In retrospect, a great achievement in and of itself.

I really don't know how Wilson handled the pandemic of 1918.

History will tell us more clearly how this one has handled the crises of his time in office. 

MerlinsDad

Jun-19

Possibly both at the same time.  The purpose of a library has radically changed just in the years I was a librarian.  I praise the current Executive Director for what he has done to implement those changes in procedure, concept, and philosophy.  The 15 different communities we (I wonder how long it will be before I quit saying we) serve in this county seem to appreciate the changes we've made.  Libraries are about much more than just being a repository for books.

Carol Ann (Knit_Chat)
Staff

Jun-19

Don't know, but my library doesn't list books until they are published. We can recommend books and automatically be put on the wait list when it comes out. I'm waiting to see where I am on that list. Should know Monday as that's when the book is available. 

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-19

I will check my library then.  I looked up two enormous library systems. NYC has one copy ordered with 108 holds, and one digital and one audio file.  Los Angeles County Library has three copies ordered.  For a book that is supposed to be a big one, that isn’t a lot of copies.  Here there are 6 votes, all No.  I wonder how it’s going to big a bestseller if no one buys it.  I’m going to run a promo out of curiosity,

Carol Ann (Knit_Chat)
Staff

Jun-19

Libraries are having issues with the publisher Simon and Schuster. I don't know all the particulars, but my library said that the publisher is only giving them so many copies of a book when it's first released and they have to wait 30 days to order more. Guess the publisher wants people to buy books and not get them free from the library and if people have to wait a long time, many will buy it.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-19

I didn’t know that. It’s also possible books sales are up due to people being at home and there were not enough copies printed for a first run.  Given how much both sides disliked Bolton, it is interesting how popular this book has made him.