Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should Juneteenth "June 19th" Become a National Holiday?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jun-19 by BWArtist; 479 views.
BWArtist

Poll Question From BWArtist

Jun-19

Should Juneteenth "June 19th" Become a National Holiday?
  • Yes3  votes
    23%
  • No8  votes
    61%
  • Other?2  votes
    15%
Yes 
No 
Other? 
In reply toRe: msg 1
BWArtist

Jun-19

kizmet1

Jun-19

I am on the fence on this. My city has recently had lifesize statues of Thomas Jrfferson and George Washington toppled and maimed. Jefferson was at a hs many friends and relatives graduated from. Washington was at a fraternal lodge.
A part of me feels like Juneteenth becoming a holiday is like reward for bad behavior.
BWArtist

Jun-20

Well Greenwood in 1921 was a perfect example of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, Only the people that did so were black  and the white people burned them down and condemned their ambition and financial sustainability  from their success.

Almost 100 years later, this racial  cultural enforcement has hobbled Greenwood  in poverty.

I guess I would have ask you next is to explain what exactly is bad behavior?

kizmet1

Jun-20

I am not familiar with Greenwood.
In 1921 my grandparents were struggling to provide a home for almost 3 children, 2 motherless siblings and a father. They didn't have time or money to take sides in anything and continued that life once they prospered after they survived the Depression.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-20

A flag was burned on the statue of Washington.

BWArtist

Jun-20

Yes my folks were depression era parents , It was a hard life to endure for sure. But that's no excuse for ignoring history and how it shapes  our opinions in our life of this day. 

There is a new reparations bill  presented by Senator Cory Booker. Many will argue there is no evidence or no need. However the business owners of Greenwood had paid for their insurance and the insurance companies  refused to pay claims. This goes way beyond our own ancestral struggle that our folks went through. And all you are offering is false equivalency.

Greenwood was just one incident. What could we as a people do to bring us together? Instead of defending ignorance so we can remain apart?

kizmet1

Jun-20

I fear this is just the beginning.
kizmet1

Jun-20

I live in the West. Greenwood means nothing to me.
My ancestors were Aleut from Alaska. They did not march, picket or destroy property, ie historical, patriotic and religious statues.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-20

Most of our ancestors didn’t riot, march or destroy. My family did not have money, they were too busy working hard to do anything like that.