Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Replacement Elastic For Masks   Knock Knock - Off Topic

Started Jun-20 by kizmet1; 609 views.

Wow. Never opened. Well there's some available now as a result.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

How often did we need gloves before this hit?

Well before this hit maybe quarterly or so.

There's going to probably be permanent shortages.

I was watching somet videos about the cruise ship industry and how misguided governmental actions turned them into toxic Petri dishes of Covid-19 with desperate passengers and crew sometimes jumping overboard rather than be trapped on the ship.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

People jumped off ships recently?  I don’t think there is currently a shortage of nitrile type gloves but I can’t find a pair of dishwashing gloves in my market,

I think they were jumping off in March and April. Some didn't survive the impact with the water. I think they were mainly crew members trapped on ships in the harbors in Japan and somewhere else a couple of months after the passengers were all evacuated but crew were not allowed to leave.

It was after a couple of those that finally it underscored that keeping people on the ships for months on end, was a horrible humanitarian crisis.

I wonder if some cruise ships will end up sold either for scrap or cut down to turn into cargo vessels before all of this has run its course.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

That could easily happen.  What happened to the crew who jumped ship? Did they live? Were they rescued?

In reply toRe: msg 26
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

I finally broke down and bought nice washable masks.  They were not expensive because most people already have the masks they need.

Showtalk said:

What happened to the crew who jumped ship? Did they live? Were they rescued?

A bunch of them didn't survive. Some left suicide notes before jumping. A few were probably rescued. I don't know if those rescued were brought to shore or were put back on the ship, though. But some of the suicide notes (and social media posts) indicated they just couldn't take it any more, and as the disease continued to spread through the ship, decided they were better off taking their chances with the sea.

The deteriorating mental health of crew members trapped thousands of miles from home and forbidden from leaving while passengers were being evacuated by their respective countries' embassies and sometimes even navies plucking them off ships on the high seas to get them home, is a disgrace for a world that is supposed to be "civilized". The BBC documentary indicated that many nations' foreign ministry people apologized that it was a bad decision to trap people at sea, but the damage has been permanently done.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

It’s a mental health problem.

The pandemic is exacerbating pre-existing mental health problems, and driving a lot of people to despair when their plight seems to have no solution.