Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever been involved in a cour...   The Curious You: Your Polls

Started Jun-23 by Jeri (azpaints); 1145 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Poll Question From Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-23

Have you ever been involved in a court case?
  • Yes, as a plaintiff0  votes
    0%
  • Yes,:as a defendant - civil0  votes
    0%
  • Yes as a defendant - criminal2  votes
    16%
  • Yes as a witness0  votes
    0%
  • Yes as a prosecutor0  votes
    0%
  • Yes as an defense attorneys0  votes
    0%
  • Yes as a juries member5  votes
    41%
  • Spectator only0  votes
    0%
  • No, thankfully3  votes
    25%
  • Other, as usual2  votes
    16%

This poll is closed.

kizmet1

Jun-24

just for auto accidents.

About 35 years ago I was briefly a defendant - and ironically got served the 2nd day while sitting on a jury, which was totally surreal.

That case ultimately was one of those done to intimidate, and fortunately I had both some external resources that the plaintiff didn't realize, thinking I'd just yelp with tail between legs and be easy prey, and second, I had plenty of evidence against them of various other shady things that they were involved in that absolutely would have come out at trial. They ended up dropping that case after a few months of cat and mouse. The "excuse" was that "the defendant does not appear to have any means to satisfy a judgment".

I ended up picked for both trials that week - a civil case and a criminal one. The criminal one was the kind of thing that makes you question humanity, and produced a sordid window into the lives of many who live on the underside of society, and the horrible situation children can be born into. It also was the thing that really made me get behind the idea that not only should effective birth control be readily available, it should be mandatory for people who clearly have no business being parents.

We sent her up for the maximum sentence because that was the only way to be certain she wouldn't just end up pregnant yet again by yet another scum of the earth kind of babydaddy and lack the wherewithall to protect her child from the next beast. It also kind of soured my view on how the criminal justice system ends up being the backstop for many cases where mental health (and public health) should have intervened long before a situation ended up in a criminal case.

The defendant should have been institutionalized. But the way the legal system is structured, there were no really good options at all to protect future children that she was likely to produce in exchange for necessities like food and shelter. The no-good babydaddy should have been castrated, but unfortunately he wasn't on trial.

That's where I also learned way too much about traumatic brain injury. The kid, if it is still alive, would be about 36 years old right now, and probably will be a lifetime ward of the state.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

I was called as a prospective juror for the Phoenix Buddhist Temple murders and was thankfully excused.  Two years later we bought the land next door to the killer's parents house.  It was in foreclosure to pay attorneys.  We became good friends with the new buyers and they had every security device known to mankind installed when it looked like he might get out on bail for a second trial.  He didn't win his petition and is in jail still as far as I know.  At that time, it was then the Arizona version of the OJ trial, media everywhere, cops, FBI and Secret Security all over.  I ended up called for jury duty five times in total and served on two.  

kizmet1

Jun-26

What a horrible coincidence. Glad you missed the trial.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

Yes, it was strange.  I wish our realtor had known it was coming on the market.  It was a great house, pool, pool house, garage.  Sold for half what we paid for ours with half their land.  

kizmet1

Jun-26

Sounds really nice.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

It is.  They converted the pool house into a Mother in law apartment.  The pool even has an electric cover so they knew mom in law wouldn't fall in.  She had Alzheimer's.

kizmet1

Jun-26

Goodness. Poolhouses here are rare and very small.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-26

It's about 900-1000 sf in size.