Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What’s your favorite part of the zoo?   The Trivia-Loving You: Quizzes

Started Jun-26 by Jeri (azpaints); 891 views.
Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

The Zoo.  It's on right now.  Animal planet channel.  They are trying to catch a crocodile for treatment now.  Yikes!  

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-27

I would not want that job! I used to know someone who had a relative with their own dolphin. Each captive dolphin has its own handler.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

A lot of the animals have dedicated handlers...usually 3 to cover shifts and in case more than one is needed.  It's a fascinating show!  They just moved a jaguar!

MerlinsDad

Jun-27

How do you catch a crocodile for treatment?  Are they as hard to get to take a pill as cats?   Their jaws and teeth are bigger; wouldn't want to put my hand in there to try to force down a pill.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

They use the cowboy tried and true "rope em".  They rope the neck from left and right, then some guy with a suicidal wish jumps on the tail, another on the body, they drop a towel over the eyes, rope the nose, and duct tape is used to close the mouth.  very physical.  I think today was a shot, I got distracted by a demand for pets.  Most of today has been how the breed various critters.  Tigers were not cooperating but the hedgehogs and porcupines enjoyed themselves.

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-27

I wouldn’t want to get within touching distance of a porcupine.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

Me either!  They showed a little of the training to get the female to go into the crate and then back out when the gate was opened.  

Jeri (azpaints)

Jun-27

I bet some of their training tricks would work for dogs!

Showtalk
Staff

Jun-27

The could work for dogs. Training is usually nothing more than reinforcing a skill. It helps to know what to reinforce.

MerlinsDad

Jun-27

jeri says:  ". . . then some guy with a suicidal wish jumps on the tail, another on the body,"

Suicidal wish is right.  Wow! 

So it takes about four-risk taking men to subdue a crocodile.  I would love to watch it -- on video so I knew the operation was successful. 

At what point do they undo the duct tape in the releasing process?  I would not want to be riding an angry crocodile. 

Thanks for the description.  Most interesting.

Porcupine breeding has got to be a little risky for all concerned.