Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

It’s over now.  Let’s just remember kindness, even if we disagree, myself included.  Elections come and go but I would like us all to remain friends.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

That facts statement is incredibly offensive, not from you but from anyone.  It implies that only the speaker knows what they are talking about and anyone who disagrees is a liar or stupid.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-6

I made the facts statement originally, not Merlins Dad.  It doesn't imply only the speaker knows what they are talking about.  It means that facts are important and should have as much importance as opinions.  You're right.  It's over.  I'm done.  You said this is an opinion forum and it is.  But I give importance to facts and respect opinions.  

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Except I don’t see alternative opinions give the same weight as things you post. I could be wrong but it seems that way.

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

There are facts and there are opinions.  They are not the same.  Facts can be checked by anyone; that's why it's important to provide a link to the source.  One uses facts to build a discussion.  From a sound basis in facts, one can venture into opinion.  Opinions exist to be debated, discussed, and modified by facts, but opinions are not solid; they are flimsy things.  Facts tend to be more solid, less elusive, less subject to change, although they can be changed by new data.  

jeri is absolutely correct:  Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, with the understanding that the opinion may not survive the facts.  No one is entitled to his own facts,  They have to be accessible to all.  

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

And yet I have posted facts you do not like and you will not accept them. If you don’t agree, you say they are not facts or they are incorrect.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

Opinions do not carry the same weight as facts.  Facts are substantial and available to all of us.  Opinions are flimsy, open to debate and discussion and changed by the weight of facts. 

We each can have an opinion about Trump's recent statement that 99% of coronavirus cases are "harmless."  But we can't change the fact that he said it. 

We can debate our opinions until Saturday, but we can't change the fact that he said it.  

Facts carry a lot more weight than opinions.  What's fun in this forum is that we can debate the opinions, but not the facts.

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

If you cite a fact, give me a link.  Most, if not all, of what I have disputed are opinions.  It seems to me that you rely mostly on opinions.  All of those articles today claiming that the increases in coronavirus were due to the protests are opinions.  Yes, many police officers in LA have contacted coronavirus and yes they were face to face with protestors, but there is no causal link between the protests and the increases, merely an opinion, a supposition,  Further investigation may or may not show a causal link, but today, it's merely opinion and open to debate and refutation,

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

If you have posted a indisputable fact, I cannot dispute it.  You mostly rely on other people's opinions, like that discussion you started on suburbs with an opinion piece by Stanley Kurtz.  I disputed it because it was opinion; he may have drawn on a fact, but what he wrote was his opinion, and I don't agree with it.  It was not a factual piece; it was an opinion piece.  We can have different opinions about what the facts import, but we can't change the facts,   That's why I am so careful to provide quotation marks and links when I cite someone else.  And sometimes, the information I provide are facts.  And both of us can hold opinions about the import of those facts, but we can't change the facts.