Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you feed birds?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started Jun-30 by MerlinsDad; 3826 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jun-30

I did but they told us we can’t feed wild animals and I was unable to stop squirrels from using the feeder.

MerlinsDad

Jun-30

Who is they?

I have lots of squirrels, but they are unable to get to the feeders.  I had to cut a limb out of a tree to keep one enterprising young fella from jumping off of the limb onto the top of the feeder rig.  It was fun to watch, but I had no desire to feed him, also.  There's plenty of acorns and hickories in the back.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

They are the city and their officials. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-1

While the Humane Society of the United States cautions against feeding wild animals in just about every other capacity, feeding birds and squirrels in your own backyard is generally harmless. But that doesn't mean you can't get legally dinged for setting out a bird feeder.

Some cities or municipalities may have ordinances preventing bird feeders, while others can issue fines against owners whose feeders are not in compliance with the law. You aren't likely to be arrested for illegal bird or squirrel feeders, but you may be facing hundreds of dollars in fines.  https://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2014/07/is-it-legal-to-feed-wild-animals.html

What is the specific ordinance prohibiting feeding birds or setting impossible conditions for legal bird feeders?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

I don’t have the ordinance in front of me but I was told by LE that steep fines can be levied on people for feeding wildlife from their homes because of the dangers of illness or attracting other animals.  The main problems are in areas with coyote or mountain lion or other dangerous animals.  Or a lot of rats. Squirrels are rodents and are considered vermin.

MerlinsDad

Jul-1

I'd like to know the wording of the ordinance.  Not feeding birds who need it because there's an ordinance against feeding squirrels seems a tad rigid.  No one in your community feeds birds?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

Yes, they do. I did for a while.  Then I took a course in environmentally beneficial gardening and replaced the feeder with plants that birds like.  My plants attract birds and bees, and sometimes even butterflies and bugs.

MerlinsDad

Jul-1

That's a good thing.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

The bird feeder was old and falling apart. But it was a nice one before that.

kizmet1

Jul-2

No, I will not feed wildlife, at all. A bird sanctuary is in the area if birds get hungry.
I am most proud of my buddleia which the hummingbirds and huge butterflies adore. I have 4 in the backyard and 6 in the front. They seem to go wild over the gold pom pom buddleia.