Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you feed birds?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started Jun-30 by MerlinsDad; 3103 views.
Song~ (_Song_)

Jul-19

You need surveillance cameras set up! ;-)
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

That would work.

Song~ (_Song_)

Jul-19

Your pup could become the next You Tube star! ;-)
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

That would be funny. 

In reply toRe: msg 1
kizmet1

Jul-21

I tried when I first moved here. I even bought a birdbath. Nothing was ever touched. I later learned that the neighbors were very generous with their animal food. I also figured out that a river was close by and birds could bathe there any time they wanted. Lastly, a sancturary was in the area.
When animal feeding neighbors moved out the new owner started feeding everything. He had a big Lab and a cat living with him. One day he came home and found that squirrels had broken into the attic and took over the living quarters in spite of the dog and cat being there. Taught him to stop feeding animals. Taught me to never start.
I planted a lot of buddleia all over the yard. 6 different colors, so far. The hummingbirds and butterflies really appreciate them.

I did once upon a time, until I discovered that the cats were simply lying in wait to catch and eat the birds that were drawn to the feeder.

another advantage of living out in the boondocks. Far fewer pencil neck bureaucrats and arrogance of officaldom to make life more difficult.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

Yes, although people protect wildlife everywhere.  It’s hard when the wildlife impinges on people who also share a space with them.  I had to scare off a skunk the other night, peacefully.  The next morning, I let one of my dogs pee on the area where I smelled the skunk, very carefully, and the scent scared it off. Next night, no smell, no rustling, no skunk.

MerlinsDad

Aug-4

That's right.  You have a lot of cats.  I would expect a congregation of them under the bird feeders. 

Showtalk said:

It’s hard when the wildlife impinges on people who also share a space with them.

Although technically, the wildlife was around long before developers impinged into their habitat with "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky".