Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you feed birds?   The Natural You: Wild Kingdom

Started Jun-30 by MerlinsDad; 4153 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-4

That's right.  You have a lot of cats.  I would expect a congregation of them under the bird feeders. 

Showtalk said:

It’s hard when the wildlife impinges on people who also share a space with them.

Although technically, the wildlife was around long before developers impinged into their habitat with "little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky-tacky".

Housecats are, according to wildlife biologists, one of the most predatory invasive species that can be brought into suburbia. But they are so soothing and they purr and love attention. And right now an incredibly elongated rescue from 4 years ago is on my shoulder making me sweat more profusely, while she is purring quite loudly.

Probably wants attention and of course to be fed.

MerlinsDad

Aug-4

Yes.  Which is why all my cats have been in-door kitties.  We have a screened in porch; that's their outdoors.

Enjoy your buddy.  

My current only cat, Mandy, is not a lap kitty.  She wants to be petted, but on her terms -- stretched out on the floor.  While I'm reading, she hops on the footstool beside the chair to be petted, but she won't get in the chair with me.

I have indoor kitties but there are a bunch of outdoor ones that show up demanding to be fed. I've managed to tame 2 of those.

MerlinsDad

Aug-4

Sounds as if you are a favorite destination for feral and semi-feral cats.

Yeah, there's a Millennial cat lady I know who probably has more feral and semi-ferals, and yet another fellow electronics geek that actually has deep enough pockets to have a near industrial scale trap / neuter / release program going, so I probably rank 3rd out of the regional "rural cat collection club".

MerlinsDad

Aug-5

I'm sure the feral and semi-feral cats in the area really appreciate you all.

Why did you get into feeding feral and semi-feral cats other than the obvious fact that they needed someone to do so?

MerlinsDad said:

Why did you get into feeding feral and semi-feral cats other than the obvious fact that they needed someone to do so?

That was what they needed. That, and they control rodents. Pack rats can destroy the wiring under the hood of a car and turn it into junk overnight.

With cats on patrol, I haven't had any more destroyed vehicles.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-6

Yes, they can. Some car manufacturers use soy based casing on wiring, which smells like food to rats.