Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Were police right in clearing out the CHOP zone?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 928 views.
kizmet1

Jul-1

I was looking over the area as some of my relatives lived there many years ago. Doesn't look like a slum. By a nice park with a lake.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

The area is nice, what they did it it might not be.

In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-2

The police were wise to permit reporters to accompany them into CHOP.  Here's a video of the procedure.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/protests/inside-look-at-seattles-east-precinct-after-police-dismantle-chop-zone/281-5a0d60bb-65ab-47f7-9894-b174332d4166

It appears to have been fairly peaceful, although, as one should expect, there was some resistance.

MerlinsDad

Jul-2

I posted a video of the clearing by reporters permitted to accompany the police at message #13. 

This video presents quite a different perspective on what transpired than this report and their video from a helicopter. 

Of course, as we've discussed before, everything depends on where the cameraperson points the camera and how the editors crop it up for viewing.  Our emotions are so easily manipulated by visual images.

I suppose one has to draw his or her own conclusions after reading and watching.  I voted other.  Let's see what transpires in the next day to two.   The video shows the bicycle police moving in, which looked fairly peaceful; however, they also brought in the armored vehicles.  There was resistance, as you should expect.  Neither report talks about injuries, which is a good thing.  They were wise to begin their procedure so early in the morning.  That probably reduced the probability of injury.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

There is almost no coverage of the 19 year old disabled man who was murdered in the CHOP zone.  Protestors refused to allow police or emergencies responders in to help him and he died as a result.

https://www.lucianne.com/2020/07/01/father_whose_19-year-son_was_killed_inbrseattles_chop_gives_emotional_interviewbrthey_should_have_stopped_this_a_longbrtime_ago_37903.html

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

I watched the video and saw the police being calm and professional and no one resisting.  I would also like to see police video.  There was no mention of Horace Lorenzo Anderson Jr who was murdered or the 16 year old boy also murdered.  The newscaster at one point said “police clashed with protestors.” Actually, protestors clashed with police. Police were just doing their jobs.

I could not take my eyes off the filth and destruction.  We can’t smell anything in a video and the news report didn’t mention smell.

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

Instead of being pleased that the disassembly of the encampment went relatively smoothly without major incident and only a few arrests, you're disappointed that the newspeople didn't enfold another incident into their coverage?

MerlinsDad

Jul-3

showtalk says: "I would also like to see the police video."

When you get access to it, please send me a link.

The process went smoothly without major incident and only a few arrests and you're concerned that you couldn't smell it?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

There was no mention before or after either of the man who died, did you even know his name?  You are focusing on a minor point, not the issue.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

That is not what I meant.  How interesting a simple comment can be turned into something malevolent.