Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Should the word “Master” be removed or changed wherever it is used?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 1009 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

She’s probably still relatively young too.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-5

And I'd bet she's still independent at 90!

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Yes, she will be. They never lose that. 

More lunacy and moonbattery. I think removing words is doubleplusungood.

Reminds me of this:

'The Eleventh Edition [of Newspeak] is the definitive edition,' he said. 'We're getting the language into its final shape--the shape it's going to have when nobody speaks anything else. When we've finished with it, people like you will have to learn it all over again. You think, I dare say, that our chief job is inventing new words. But not a bit of it! We're destroying words--scores of them, hundreds of them, every day. We're cutting the language down to the bone. The Eleventh Edition won't contain a single word that will become obsolete before the year 2050.'

He bit hungrily into his bread and swallowed a couple of mouthfuls, then continued speaking, with a sort of pedant's passion. His thin dark face had become animated, his eyes had lost their mocking expression and grown almost dreamy.

'It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well--better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of "good", what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like "excellent" and "splendid" and all the rest of them? "Plusgood" covers the meaning, or "doubleplusgood" if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already. but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words--in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston? It was B.B.'s idea originally, of course,' he added as an afterthought.

kizmet1 said:

Things are not only getting out of line, people are going nuts. What is next?

Exactly. People are going nuts. See my previous post quoting "1984" by George Orwell about how Newspeak was all about eliminating words.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-7

If a word meant only one thing and was so offensive it harmed people, I can see changing it. This word has multiple meanings. It doesn’t affect most of us if the real estate industry changes the word, but it would be difficult for everyone with an MA or MS after their names.

Yep. They are going overboard like the Party's revision of Newspeak.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-9

Les Miserables!