Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are the suburbs outdated?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 2042 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

#1 should read 

Yes, we should rezone suburbs to build low income, high density housing and housing projects.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-1

We have four suburban areas where the developers created a mini downtown and the are very populated with everyone.  Has nothing to do with politics unless you want to count the development company CEO being Republican.  They were designed to give a small town atmosphere and give home buyers local entertainment and eateries.  They are considered very desirable areas and have held their property values much better.  The first one is the strongest Republican voter district in the metro area...Sun City.  Verado is west of us, has their own local schools, preplanned parks, daycare centers, etc.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

They are talking about moving low income housing projects to the suburbs, and taking away zoning for single family homes, so other those of housing can be built on properties that are now SFDs, not what you have mentioned.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-1

There would have to be major major legislation to accomplish that.  States have control, then counties, then cities.  Not something I think will have any chance of passing.  It's election year...both sides are spewing all kinds of idiotic things. 

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-1

It’s been talked about for a long time. It’s already in place in a few areas.

MerlinsDad

Jul-1

Before you take Stanley Kurtz' distorted editorial seriously, take a look at Biden's actual plan https://joebiden.com/housing/. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-1

I'm sure there are areas, but can you show me what political party was in control at the time and what government level seized the private property?  Federal, state, county or city?  I ask for a reason.  

The city of Phoenix loaned a developer $$ to build a hotel during one of the Super Bowls here.  After the SuperBowl, the developer defaulted on the loan and the City of Phoenix became the owner.  There were/are several ideas promoted.  A home for homeless, apartments for military homeless vets.  Rooms combined and Refurbished to apartments for low income families (section 8 in other words).  Then came corona and now they are thinking of using it as a "temporary" housing/care center for those recovering from Covid but not in need of intensive medical care.  If AZ were to elect a Democratic governor and something was done with this hotel to benefit homeless or the poor, the Democrat would be blamed for it when in reality it started 2 decades ago with a Republican governor and mayor.  

kizmet1

Jul-2

They want to do that in SW Portland in an area full of modest 2-3 br homes on large lots which were built after WW2. A nice place for people with 1-2 children or empty nesters to grow old and keep gardens. Portland wants to tear modest homes down and build condos or apartments for low income people. It would be close to another proposed light rail line.
You know that rent will go up. Those in bigger homes will see their property values go down. If kids move into lowcost housing new schools will have to be built. Be hard to grow kitchen gardens there.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

Distorted is a matter of perspective. That link took me to a Biden ad. No article, no plan.  

In reply toRe: msg 10
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-2

I read the piece carefully and it also links to Biden’s ad page, but I was able to get to his plan.  So the “distorted” piece also references the plan. From the distorted piece it is clear the plan requires reasoning and lack of local control. Most cities that are considered suburbs or not inner cities, have some type of growth plan.  They control growth not to keep people out but to make sure utilities and resources are not overtaxed. Suburbs were originally designed to basically move the riff raff out of cities and warehouse them in more isolated areas, distant from the main power centers of a state or community.  They were cheaper and more accessible for the middle class, and often companies or businesses set up near suburbs so their employees had less expensive places to live. I apologize for the bad copy. I was unable to get it all with a clear font. From the piece:

This de facto annexation strategy had three parts: (1) use a kind of quota system to force “economic integration” on the suburbs, pushing urban residents outside of the city; (2) close down suburban growth by regulating development, restricting automobile use, and limiting highway growth and repair, thus forcing would-be suburbanites back to the city; (3) use state and federal laws to force suburbs to redistribute tax revenue to poorer cities in their greater metropolitan region. If you force urbanites into suburbs, force suburbanites back into cities, and redistribute suburban tax revenue, then presto! You have effectively abolished the suburbs.

Obama’s radical AFFH regulation puts every part of Obama’s radical AFFH regulation puts every part of progressives’ “abolish the suburbs” strategy into effect (as I explain in detail here). Once Biden starts to enforce AFFH the way Obama’s administration originally meant it to work, it will be as if America’s suburbs had been swallowed up by the cities they surround. They will lose control of their own zoning and development, they will be pressured into a kind of de facto regional-revenue redistribution, and they will even be forced to start building high-density low-income housing. The latter, of course, will require the elimination of single-family zoning. With that, the basic character of the suburbs will disappear. At the very moment when the pandemic has made people rethink the advantages of dense urban living, the choice of an alternative will be taken away.progressives’ “abolish the suburbs” strategy into effect (as I explain in detailnce Biden starts to enforce AFFH the way Obama’s administration originally meant it to work, it will be as if America’s suburbs had been swallowed up by the cities they surround. They will lose control of their own zoning and development, they will be pressured into a kind of de facto regional-revenue redistribution, and they will even be forced to start building high-density low-income housing. The latter, of course, will require the elimination of single-family zoning. With that, the basic character of the suburbs will disappear. At the very moment when the pandemic has made people rethink the advantages of dense urban living, the choice of an alternative will be taken away.

• Edited July 2, 2020 10:56 am  by  Showtalk