Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are the suburbs outdated?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 1990 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-4

I’m not sure how it logically follows that every subject is Trump related. It’s not. I haven’t said a word when your AZ discussion turned to Trump since you started it and you can direct it. I noticed only two are even posting in it anymore.  Which is fine, you are free to talk about it.  But I would prefer to keep this one on topic.

MerlinsDad

Jul-4

Very well stated.  Thank you.

MerlinsDad

Jul-4

But that's exactly who it is about.  Kurtz [https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/biden-and-dems-are-set-to-abolish-the-suburbs/] is just the echo chamber.

President Trump has taken aim at an Obama-era program intended to eliminate racial housing disparities in the suburbs, a move proponents of the policy see as an attempt to shore up his sagging support among white suburban voters by stoking racial division.

In a Twitter post late Tuesday, Mr. Trump announced that he was considering the elimination of a 2015 initiative known as Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing, which requires localities to identify and address patterns of racial segregation outlawed under the Fair Housing Act of 1968 by creating detailed corrective plans. 

Mr. Trump and his campaign team, already concerned about his weakness in battleground states, have become increasingly alarmed by internal polling showing a softening of support among suburban voters, especially women without college degrees, according to two Republican officials close to the campaign. [bolding mine --MD}
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/us/politics/trump-obama-housing-discrimination.html

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-4

Political discussions generally involve both parties opinions and stands on an issue.  IIRC, you introduced Biden's Housing plans for suburbs.  Biden is running against Trump. QED Talk about one naturally leads to talk about the other.   Now that Iunderstand your goals, I won't change the focus f your threads.  However EVERYONE is welcome to post on threads I have started, change the subject, stay on subject, agree, disagree, share or ignore.

You're right only two are posting on the AZ thread which is sad since the majority of the posts are updates on statistics and efforts to stop Covid19.  

Don't know enough to form a option.

I think that many suburbs will naturally change, so government intervention really would just mis-allocate resources. The Covid-19 pandemic has already caused a lot of people to flee densely populated areas. High density housing and housing projects are so 20th century nowadays. It's the kind of disease exchange Petri dish that we really don't need.

However, I could easily see many of these areas, once the demand collapse of over-priced single family houses runs its course, become transformed into things like manufactured housing communities - which still handles a lot of people but maintains some elbow room.

Also in today's new normal, the most important thing will be fast internet build-out away from the city cores. Many people can earn a living from home these days, as the virus lockdowns have underscored, except of course for those grunt jobs that require constant close contact with others, where the pandemic continues to spread.

But my experience with government mandates is they usually assume everything is static, and then turns into an entrenched bureaucracy that mostly is highly inefficient, wastes a lot of resources, and causes people to have to contort their lives in all sorts of weird ways that further waste their own resources just in compliance burdens.

Jeri (azpaints) said:

They were designed to give a small town atmosphere and give home buyers local entertainment and eateries.

and these kind of developments can eliminate a LOT of awful traffic and killer commutes, if jobs are near where people live.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Some years ago inner cities were gentrified and people ended up moving in from the suburbs. It was a huge experiment. I never followed the outcome.

Gentrification drove a lot of the poor out of the middle cities, and often put out families who had lived in some neighborhoods for generations. It was awful in most cases.

We saw something like this during the oil boom but it was too short lived to fully run its course, and a lot of the gentrification crowd lost their butt when the boom went bust. Hopefully there will be a lot of formerly gentrified places on the auction block that go for a tiny fraction of what they'd speculate the market to, and normal ordinary people can move back in. And the fools trying to "keep up with the Joneses" learn a bitter lesson in Economics 101.

Gentrification often produces a bubble that sooner or later bursts, but like lemmings they continue to bid up prices well beyond what is sustainable and market forces eventually "correct" the situation.

Unfortunately a long debris trail of shattered lives tends to be left in the path while these things finally run their course.