Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are the suburbs outdated?   The Serious You: Politics

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 1982 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-10

The problem is as incomes rises, costs of living do too.

That is only because most people expand their spending to match their new-found income. If more people would read "The Millionaire Next Door" they'd not gentrify places and drive out the service people and other lower paid occupations from an area.

and if more people lived well below their means, we wouldn't have the crises from economic downturns. Plus those who *could* gentrify an area instead could live modestly and be far more able to actually help those in dire need compared to what happens now with so many who are "broke, but at a higher level".

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-13

Yes. Dave Ramsey is right, and so are you.

MerlinsDad

Jul-28

Here are some excerpts from an opinion piece (July 28) by Ronald Brownstein about the changing demographics of suburbs which you might find interesting.  The suburbs may indeed be "outdated."  I live in one of the suburban counties mentioned in this piece, a county which voted 51% to 45% for the Democratic candidate in the last presidential election and will probably vote an even higher percentage for the Democratic candidate in 2020 for the reasons discussed in this piece.

President Donald Trump's racially charged warnings to suburban voters about crime and housing face a fundamental headwind: the suburbs themselves are much more racially diverse than even two decades ago [bolding mine --MD].  In contrast to the stereotype of homogeneous communities of White families behind white picket fences, in many of the largest suburban counties around America Whites now compose only about half or less of the population [[bolding mine --MD]].

Trump may find some receptive ears among suburbanites of all races for his attempt to portray himself as a human wall protecting them from chaos and disorder in the cities, political strategists agree. But the suburbs' growing diversity means he faces a vastly different, and more difficult, audience than Richard Nixon did when making similar arguments  half a century ago.

"The heart of it is people's image of the suburbs don't match what the suburbs are today, because the demographics have changed so significantly" [bolding mine --MD], says John Feinblatt, president of the gun control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety, which is investing heavily in political races across the Sun Belt suburbs this year. "The suburbs are less like more rural counties and far more like urban centers, both in how they identify politically and what they look like."

In recent weeks, Trump has targeted suburban voters with ominous messages. He's warned that presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden would "destroy" the suburbs, accused big-city Democratic mayors of coddling criminals, and cowering before protesters for racial justice, and revoked a regulation approved under Barack Obama's administration to encourage more racial and economic integration in housing.  In a recent tele-rally with Wisconsin supporters, Trump was anything but subtle in appealing to racial anxieties about those rules: Democrats, he said, will "eliminate single-family zoning, bringing who knows [who] into your suburbs, so your communities will be unsafe and your housing values will go down"  [bolding mine --MD].  In a tweet last week, he directed the same warning to "The Suburban Housewives of America."

While such arguments may move some voters, many sociologists and political strategists say they reflect a Nixon-era vision of the suburbs that no longer encompasses the reality.

"I think the messaging by and large from the Trump campaign has been tone deaf as it relates to the suburbs," worries Republican consultant John Thomas, who has worked extensively in the prototypical diversifying suburbs of Orange County, California. 
The big conclusion: About half of not only non-White but also White suburban voters described Trump's vision for the country as divisive and self-serving, with roughly another 1-in-8 calling his approach racist or discriminatory. That causes many suburbanites to see Trump as more part of the problem than the solution when it comes to ensuring order [bolding mine --MD], says Ryan Pougiales, a senior political analyst at Third Way.

"They see Trump and his administration tear-gassing protesters and shoving and beating mothers in Portland, Oregon," he says. "The imaginary chaos that he is trying to communicate to voters is what they see coming from the Trump administration right now" [bolding mine --MD]. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/politics/trump-2020-election-suburbs-diversity/index.html

The suburbanites he is speaking to that would have resonated are now either already deceased or have been dependent on Social Security and pensions for a couple of decades, while the age range that used to make up that group weren't even born back in 1970.

It kind of reminds me of some psychological thriller where an elderly homeless man was trying to get to see his boy again, and bought that baseball glove he'd promised with the $50 winning lottery ticket.

The reality was, that long-lost son had been raised to adulthood by his mother, had moved on and had a family of his own, and the now dry alcoholic had been stuck in the past all those years.

The incongruity of the last ditch effort to repair the past, to have spent most of one's life trying to fix a single insurmountable obstacle against the backdrop of time had marched on, unnoticed, in the intervening decades. If I remember the plot correctly (and I don't even remember the name of the show) the dude was unable to grasp the reality that the 9 year old son he'd promised the baseball glove for his birthday and the entire freeze-frame scene on the backdrop of history was already a moment that was long gone.

MerlinsDad

Jul-28

Your recollection of the story sounds much like Trump and his efforts to win suburban votes.  He seems unaware that they have changed.  Our parents started the flight to the suburbs following WWII and fled farther out in the 1960s during the emigration known as "white flight."  

Our grandchildren now reside in the racially mixed suburbs with our great grandchildren playing with children with African-American Hispanic, Asian, and African parents.   We're the generation who remembers the changes wrought by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and now we have the pleasure of watching those children play in the streets in front of our houses. 

Trump is trying inflame fears where, as this piece points out, there are none.   

And then there's this song that all of that about the passage of time and things that are no longer the same, reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

I first heard this on vinyl way back in college, as the 2nd track following the iconic album naming title track.

As an aside, a hit track on their earlier album "Leftoverture", used as the title song for the series "Supernatural", is what gave the band a huge comeback some 40 years after their original heyday.

MerlinsDad

Jul-28

I thought you were linking "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof.  I was not familiar with "Dust in the Wind."   Time passes and we hardly notice it.  Trump's not that old, but he's certainly trying tactics that worked best 40 years ago or in other authoritarian regimes around the world.  He and the American public certainly don't seem in sync.  The suburbs may fool him for the reasons we've discussed.  The suburbs may have, when we were hardly looking, transmogrified into something else because the nation has changed so much, as the article discusses.