Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are the suburbs outdated?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started Jul-1 by Showtalk; 2231 views.
MerlinsDad said:

The suburbs may have, when we were hardly looking, transmogrified into something else because the nation has changed so much, as the article discusses.

That's probably how it sneaked up on us.

MerlinsDad

Jul-29

I live in a diverse county in a diverse state. 

Our parents were the ones who fled the cities for the suburbans following WWII.  Our generation may never have known anything but suburban life; our kids only knew the suburbs; our grandkids likewise.  There are still predominately white communities, but for the most part, the suburbs are diverse.  Trump may be scaring some, but, as the article points out, not a lot.

He made this statement today ""You know, the suburbs, people fight all of their lives to get into the suburbs and have a beautiful home. There will be no more affordable housing forced in to the suburbs," he said. "It's been going on for years. I've seen conflict for years. It's been hell for suburbia. We rescinded the rule three days ago so enjoy your life, ladies and gentlemen, enjoy your life."  https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/politics/donald-trump-suburbs-housing/index.html

The suburbs are no longer where people flee to.  They are simply where people live.   I know there are still inner city problems in some of the older cities, but I can't speak authoritatively about them.  I think Trump is , as we've discussed, using scare tactics that might have worked 40 years ago. 

What he is doing, however, with his dog whistle is encouraging segregation, and that may get him some votes. 

In reply toRe: msg 52
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-29

One should read everything said rather than relying on a small portion.  Biden’s team found that his anti suburb stance is going to cost him votes, and they are literally panicking.  It was my understanding that Trump is referring to the violence and rioting in cities being brought to the suburbs, not minorities.  As stated above, suburbs are often very diverse communities.  The rioters even said a few times they were going to hit the suburbs next.  

In reply toRe: msg 53
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-29

Anyone who ever watched a season of The Apprentice could never say Trump is a racist.  

kizmet1

Aug-3

I recently saw something about Trump and Dr Ben Carson, Sec of Housing, changing the law.
Isn't Dr Carson Black? Hmmmm
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-3

Yes Dr. Carson is Black.

kizmet1

Aug-3

A very intelligent and caring man. Nothing like the rioters.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-3

I thought Carson was someone both sides would like.  I also think he’s a Democrat.  He’s not very political in public.

kizmet1

Aug-3

I don't know how he is registered. He seems to be a GOP in everything he says and does. People tried to be critical.of him in the beginning but had a hard time as he had such good credentials.
Didn't he run for POTUS in GOP party?
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-3

Now I remember, he was a Democrat, then switched to Republican because Reagan impressed him, then Independent, after he criticized Obama’s policies that he felt were antiBlack.  He became a Republican to run for President.  He seems to have some Democratic Party ideas and some Republican. He is not a conservative.