Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you a hoarder?   The Real You: Personality Poll

Started Jul-2 by Showtalk; 514 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jul-2

Are you a hoarder?
  • Yes, I can't throw anything away!2  votes
    12%
  • Yes, I hoard some things so I don't run out2  votes
    12%
  • Yes, but only special items3  votes
    18%
  • I have a few collections4  votes
    25%
  • No, I keep things for a while, then get rid of what I'm not using2  votes
    12%
  • I throw out everything as soon as I'm done with it0  votes
    0%
  • No, I am compulsively neat and throw everything out or recycle0  votes
    0%
  • I'm not telling1  vote
    6%
  • I'm not sure0  votes
    0%
  • Other2  votes
    12%
Yes, I can't throw anything away! 
Yes, I hoard some things so I don't run out 
Yes, but only special items 
I have a few collections 
No, I keep things for a while, then get rid of what I'm not using 
I throw out everything as soon as I'm done with it 
No, I am compulsively neat and throw everything out or recycle 
I'm not telling 
I'm not sure 
Other 
kizmet1

Jul-3

I'm not telling.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

You don’t have to. There is only one person on the forum I know about for sure.

kizmet1

Jul-3

Some of us buy things for future use but never get around to using them until much later. What some may feel is hoarding by me is due do losing many things of my life and other things that had been my mother's and my grandparents' in a major flood a few months after moving in. No one in city warned me.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

That is tragic. Sometimes a restoration company can come in and save damaged items but you need insurance or it’s very expensive.

kizmet1

Jul-3

Under water too long. Had every doll of my life There. Also, a lot of leather shoes and purses. Family album from my gf branch. Appliances don't matter. Also lost a car. Everyone thought it would be 4-5 inches like last time. It was 5 feet.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-3

Even 4-5” can ruin everything it soaks into.  

BWArtist

Jul-4

I look for and collect emptied 30 gallon plastic mineral tubs used to supplement cattle's diet on range. I drill a half inch hole about 6 inches up and then fill the bottom with old plastic milk  jugs, number 10 food cans and other  recyclable plastics that allow me to drill  a hole on top and bottom of them so water that I fill  in the bottom of these tubs can form an air space to prune roots of plants that I grow in them. Also supplies oxygen to the roots as well. Then I take a piece of new nurseryman's weed fabric and cover the milk jugs and cans pushing the fabric down around them. Then I hate to spend money on this but I fill the tubs half way up with reconstituted ground coconut shell so the water wicks up to the plants. It's a  recycled product that is pressed and dried in places like India Usually 2 and a half pound  blocks. I tend to watch  for the price to drop when most people stop growing for the season.  Then I buy as many as I can. I do the same  with potting soil for filling the top of the tubs. I automate irrigation and inject worm compost tea. Once set up this enables an old guy that can't garden anymore in the traditional way, an easier way to achieve a much more productive garden. So I guess one person's hoarding would be another' person's solutions.

I also like to store olive oil as Pierce's Disease threatens the supply in the future. I'd do the same with Arabica coffee but the shelf life will not allow. So I'll enjoy  coffee until there is no more.

Today our  culture is trained to be wasteful. To be storing items away is to be considered odd and eccentric. However my depression era parents paid off the mortgage on their farm by  ignoring the trend of always upgrading to new farm equipment. My dad would buy  and store everybody's old farm equipment  for rebuild or parts. The neighbors could go faster bringing in the crop. We worked at a much slower but steady pace. But when the  crop processor sent the yearly check, my dad could pay more down  on his farm mortgage. His neighbors had to put more of their land  up for collateral so they could  afford the next newer and supposedly better machine.

Nowadays the American small family farmer can't get ahead financially by doing this anymore. The machinery  business has made their product so technical and have structured their warranties so you have to have them service and repair their products, that it places the farmer in servitude. Financial bondage. When Trump  had a special payment created for the farmer's to help make up for him destroying their market, that money was primarily used to allow farmers to stil make their equipment payments.

Eventually the family farms disappear. Non farmers buy up the land and can afford to buy into the the new equipment programs as they many times prefer to use their farms as write offs for their income from other businesses. Eventually they will control the food market that they will charge the consumer what they want 

You the consumer will pay it, or you'll create a tub or plastic bucket garden that I I just explained how to build.And then become hoarders too.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-4

You are very clever to design that system. I never thought about gardening in that way.  

Do olive oil and coffee last for long periods of time?  I thought every food has an expiration date.  

People don’t have the room to hoard or collect anymore.  if they live in crowded city with space at a premium they barely have room for their daily living needs.  We might say those who have enough room to save everything they own for years are privileged while those who don’t or who have to move often, are not.  There is a push to downsize and only keep what we need for the next year.  

kizmet1

Jul-4

Too many things in the market fall apart very easily and cannot be fixed. I would rather buy something used than brand new. They are cheaper and last longer.
A month ago I bought a heating pad. It barely lasted 2 weeks. The brand is a new one. Comes from China.