Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you have any special dishes to celebrate July 4?   The Ravenous You: Food, Glorious Food

Started Jul-4 by MerlinsDad; 343 views.
MerlinsDad

Jul-4

July 4th is a day for grilled hot dogs and hamburgers with sliced fresh tomatoes and a spicy mustard.  To me, it's a day to get one's face sticky with ripe watermelon.  Do you have any special dishes for this day?

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-4

Potato salad and Barbeque for dinner. The families we usually celebrate with always have pie and vanilla ice cream. Going to the fair at lunchtime and trying new food. 

MerlinsDad

Jul-4

showtalk says:  "Going to the fair at lunchtime and trying new food. "

will you go to the fair this year?

BWArtist

Jul-4

I'm not supposed to eat the bacon grease anymore but summertime marked the end of our spring lettuce in the garden. When it gets hot the greens start to get bitter. So we would prepare a dish created by my mom. It was called wilted lettuce. You fry up some bacon cooked slowly so the grease comes out clear. Mix the hot grease with  white vinegar with a little sugar to taste . Then pour it over a large bowl of clean and washed lettuce. Then crumble the crisp bacon  and toss it so all lettuce  is coated. Oh and chop up some green onion into it too. Life on the farm was very physical, so the calories got burned up . There was always work to do after the holiday meal.

• Edited July 4, 2020 8:00 pm  by  BWArtist
Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-4

My aunt did that with spinach!

MerlinsDad

Jul-4

Sounds like a great salad to serve with a 4th of July meal outside.  Do you still fix it? 

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

There was no fair.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

That sounds delicious. It is definitely a farm thing. We weren’t allowed to eat bacon fat or even use it to cook.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-5

So what special food did you have for 4th of July.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

Everything I usually have except the dessert.  I didn’t buy  or make a pie. I didn’t even want one.