Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

How cluttered is your refrigerator?   The Ravenous You: Food, Glorious Food

Started Jul-5 by Showtalk; 391 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jul-5

How cluttered is your refrigerator?
  • It is very clean. I go through weekly and throw out food I won't use5  votes
    29%
  • Somewhat. I clear out old food every 2-3 weeks4  votes
    23%
  • I go through it once a month1  vote
    5%
  • I clear it out every few months3  votes
    17%
  • Not very, I throw out unused or spoiled food once or twice a year1  vote
    5%
  • It's filthy! The contents of could double as a science experiment.0  votes
    0%
  • I clear it when it starts to smell1  vote
    5%
  • Other2  votes
    11%
It is very clean. I go through weekly and throw out food I won't use 
Somewhat. I clear out old food every 2-3 weeks 
I go through it once a month 
I clear it out every few months 
Not very, I throw out unused or spoiled food once or twice a year 
It's filthy! The contents of could double as a science experiment. 
I clear it when it starts to smell 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

I made one mistake this:

#5 Not very, I throw out... should say Very, I throw out...
Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-5

It's very clean because it's new and we haven't had enough time to get it dirty.

MerlinsDad

Jul-5

Between us, my wife and I keep our primary refrigerator tidy and well organized.  The refrigerator in the little kitchen, however, is not quite as tidy because the overflow items we stocked up on when Publix had them buy one, get one free go in there (no leftovers).

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

That’s right, yours is new.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

I wasn’t sure if I meant cluttered or clean.  A refrigerator can be poorly organized with things piled up, but still be fresh and clean without any spoiled food.

MerlinsDad

Jul-5

I approached it from the cluttered aspect.  It's also clean

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-5

Good!

It was packed full a week ago. Now, I'm finding stuff that is still OK and we have been eating that. The goal is to draw down the stuff in the fridge and freezer over the coming month, and get things better organized.

I got the big fridge for $150 at an estate sale 3 years ago. It has the large door pockets that can hold multiple gallon jugs of stuff, and the shelves are loaded with probably too much stuff as well. So, I'm trying to reduce the volume.

I have an empty "dormitory sized" fridge that is going into the shop building when I get enough space organized in there, and that may become a staging area for freeing up space in the big fridge.

There are also two freezers that are nearly full and about half full respectively. I was digging in the chest freezer today and discovered probably a couple years' supply of butter. Such is the legacy of having to rush through grocery shopping and not having an accurate inventory of a good list, racing against the tyranny of the clock, and pouncing on seasonal price drops of things that can be frozen and used safely years later.

Today I found some individually wrapped salmon filets and some tilapia filets, so I fixed one of those for "brunch" using a spare crock pot set up outside to keep heat out of the kitchen. Just pour in some water, set it on medium heat, drop in the sealed frozen fish in its package, and set the timer for a couple of hours. It's thawed and fully cooked and the boiling water doesn't mix with the fish.

I also found a case of Klondike ice cream bars. It is now a case minus 2 bars. Yum.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Why don’t I ever find forgotten Klondike bars in my freezer?