Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Protests caused a rise in COVID 19 cases   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jul-6 by Showtalk; 894 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jul-6

Protests caused a rise in COVID 19 cases
  • Yes14  votes
    87%
  • Maybe0  votes
    0%
  • No2  votes
    12%
  • No one knows0  votes
    0%
  • I'm not sure0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Yes 
Maybe 
No 
No one knows 
I'm not sure 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

This is proof that it did. People who want to blame it on anything but protests are writing counter arguments, but this is all the proof we need. It’s impossible to follow all the protestors but easy to track police.  

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Look at this crowd on July 1. No distancing at all.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Los Angeles Times

In reply toRe: msg 5
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-6

Of course they do.  So do any gatherings of large numbers of people who don't wear masks and social distance.  Including beach gatherings, theatres, and rallies - political or others.  

If one claims it's okay to attend one type of maskless gathering such as a political rally, then by extension it's okay to attend a protest, party of any kind....

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

The protests came before the rallies.  The point I’m making is that if you do a search about half say yes and the other half say no, but political rallies do. There should be consistency.

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

I voted no.  Currently evidence indicates that they did not.

Protests against systemic racism held in 300-plus U.S. cities following the death of George Floyd did not cause a significant increase in coronavirus infections, according to a team of economists who have published their findings in a 60-page paper released by the National Bureau of Economic Research; these somewhat surprising results are supported by Covid-19 testing data in many populous cities where demonstrations were held. 

The study’s lead author, Dhaval Dave of Bentley University, said, “In many cities, the protests actually seemed to lead to a net increase in social distancing bolding mine --MD], as more people who did not protest decided to stay off the streets.”

The study used newly collected data from 315 of the largest U.S. cities and documents that protests took place in 281 of those cities.

from July 1 https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/07/01/research-determines-protests-did-not-cause-spike-in-coronavirus-cases/#5872495a7dac

MerlinsDad

Jul-6

Of course, there is a counter argument

Giménez’s explanation is one that has gained a foothold recently, especially among Republicans, even with a lack of scientific evidence backing it up.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/07/05/researchers-say-protests-didnt-increase-covid-19-spread-but-republicans-are-still-blaming-them/#7987c9ef6e13