Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Who are the real victims?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-6 by Showtalk; 101 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

This is heartbreaking. If anyone doesn’t want to read it because they won’t read the site referenced, then please post another one about the growing violence. It must stop! These are all our children. Our next generation.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

2019 and so much worse now

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-6

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

"Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp on Monday declared a state of emergency and activated as many as 1,000 National Guard members."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/politics/georgia-governor-state-of-emergency/index.html

And Mayor Bottoms has reported that she has tested positive for coronavirus.

Sad day for Atlanta,

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

All of these articles indicate how seriously we need to address poverty in the U.S.

[this is a direct quotation from one of the items posted above;  link at the bottom --MD] 
Clark [James Clark, vice-president of community outreach for the not-for-profit Better Family Life] said family and community structures in the city’s impoverished neighborhoods have disintegrated so much that things have become more violent, fueled by a lack of hope and support.

Better Family Life runs a gun violence de-escalation program, providing mediation in interpersonal conflicts that could result in gun violence, and a Clean Sweep program that works to demolish abandoned and blighted buildings that have overtaken the city’s poorest neighborhoods.

“The root cause of violence is poverty [bolding mine --MD].  It took us 10 years to all agree on that. It will take at least three generations to eradicate poverty, at least three, and that’s if we started right now,” Clark said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/01/st-louis-black-children-killed-guns-2019-why

It is my opinion, based upon James Clark's observation above, that until we as a nation gain the political and moral will to address the core problems of poverty, we won't stop the violence.  More, better armed police is not a solution, it's a catalyst.  National Guardsmen in the streets may temporarily slow the violence, but it may only exacerbate the situation when they are gone.    

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-7

We have been addressing poverty for as long as I can remember and have not stopped it yet.  Throwing money at it hasn’t worked.  Jobs programs haven’t worked.  Putting money into education hasn’t worked.  I don’t see any new ideas.

MerlinsDad

Jul-7

As you say, some of what we have tried hasn't worked, and we need some fresh new ideas.  Perhaps some of the thousands of protesters spread across the nation have the fresh new ideas we need.  Until we solve the problem of poverty, we won't solve the problem of violence.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-7

Education. A different format and different type. Educated people don’t need to give into violence if they are working and busy and fulfilled.  I