Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What must we do to slow down or stop the Covid_19 pandemic?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jul-10 by MerlinsDad; 480 views.
MerlinsDad

Poll Question From MerlinsDad

Jul-10

What must we do to slow down or stop the Covid_19 pandemic?
  • Another nationwide lockdown2  votes
    18%
  • Lockdowns only in selected areas at the discretion of local officials0  votes
    0%
  • Masks and social distancing are enough, but must be mandatory3  votes
    27%
  • Masks and social distancing are enough at the discretion of the individual5  votes
    45%
  • I don't know, but It has me worried1  vote
    9%
  • I don't know, but I think it will just go away in its own time0  votes
    0%
  • Everything is hunky dory0  votes
    0%
  • Other0  votes
    0%
Another nationwide lockdown 
Lockdowns only in selected areas at the discretion of local officials 
Masks and social distancing are enough, but must be mandatory 
Masks and social distancing are enough at the discretion of the individual 
I don't know, but It has me worried 
I don't know, but I think it will just go away in its own time 
Everything is hunky dory 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-10

News item July 10,  2020

The US saw another record daily rise in reported Covid-19 cases, with 60,646 yesterday. If the numbers weren’t enough, health experts and local leaders are saying it loud and clear: Parts of the US reopened too fast, and now we’re reaping the consequences. Need proof? It took less than a month, from June into July, for nationwide case numbers to jump from 2 million to 3 million. And no, more testing isn’t to blame
From CNN email morning report.  There is no link, but this information is readily available.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

Voted nationwide because as our PHX mayor noted, AZ does not have a statewide mask or occupancy regulation mandate.  It's going to be 117 this weekend so people from Phx will go to areas with no mask or restaurant restrictions, not wear a mask.  And be exposed, come home to Phoenix and pass the virus around again.  A state can have restrictions but residents just cross the border to get away from the rules.

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

I agree with you about the nationwide lockdown.  The numbers just keep going up

Thursday brought 63,247 new Covid-19 cases nationwide, a single-day record, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The new high comes as many states set records in infection rates and hospitalizations.
While 33 states saw an increase in new cases compared to last week, Miami-Dade County in Florida on Friday reported a staggering 28% positivity rate. . . .
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
It is my opinion that those numbers will continue to increase until we as a nation take radical action to stop it.
That brutal heat wave is, as you describe, only going to make the virus  worse for you all. 

Georgia hit a record number of new cases today:  4484.  Current temperature (at 4:45 p.m) is 90.  Forecast for the next 9 days predicts highs of 90 or above daily. 
The beaches will be crowded (and everywhere else people think they can get cool, just as you describe above).  At the very least, we need a statewide mandatory mask order. 
Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

I have to admit to a cruel streak.  Remember when the talking heads said summer heat would slow off or kill off the virus?  117 degrees and case number increases, hospitalization increases, ICU use increase...maybe zero degrees will kill it...oh, wait February in Alaska? 

In reply toRe: msg 5
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-10

Death rates peaked in April and have dropped ever since. I’m trying to find a graph.  Look at total numbers.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

In part because the average age of those infected has dropped so drastically.  Also...just a note...provisional means not final.  

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

That's not cruel, that's reality.  There was a lot of talk about summer slowing the virus.  Of course, I think we've deliberately created the conditions under which it could thrive.  

The arctic circle in February might kill it.  Winter in Georgia will just invigorate it, but it looks like Georgia's summer will too. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

Tucson dr says self isolate after test, but people won't do that unless they have symptoms.  Los Angeles has an 8% positivity's of testing and they hare testing almost 100,000 a day!

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

A West Palm Beach tv station is reporting that Florida's positivity rate is over 10%.  https://www.wpbf.com/article/rossen-reports-should-schools-reopen-this-fall/33278973

Our local FOX tv station reports Georgia's positivity rate at 8.9% as of Thursday (July 9) afternoon  https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/georgia-covid-19-test-percent-positive-unchanged-from-previous-day

All of the rates, including the one you quoted for LA are way too high. 

I can understand why people won't self quarantine if it takes two weeks to get the results.  Until Arizona can get the waiting period down, infected people will keep walking around infecting others.  The salvia test we talked about earlier could really help if the results are available in 48 hours.