Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Atlanta AJC headline "We're heading for a crisis."   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jul-10 by MerlinsDad; 1950 views.
MerlinsDad

Jul-10

"We're headed for a crisis" is the headline in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, July 10,2020.

As of July 9, the 7 day running average of new coronavirus cases in Georgia was 2717 on a upward trend, but far below the daily numbers in several other states.  https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/jvoLBozRtBSVSNQDDAuZxH/

By

The number of hospital beds available to treat critically ill patients is dropping across Georgia as COVID-19 hospitalizations soar past previous highs, raising alarms that time is running out to slow the spread of the virus before medical facilities reach crisis levels.

Statewide, 2,322 people are currently hospitalized for COVID-19, well past the April 24 peak of 1,906, noted Emory University infectious disease expert Carlos del Rio.

Meanwhile, the share of open critical care beds is down to the single digits around Athens, Columbus, Tifton, and a three-county region including Cobb, Douglas and Paulding, data from the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency shows.

Wellstar Atlanta Medical Center’s ICU reached capacity Tuesday. Emory Health Care’s number COVID-19 patients tripled in two weeks. Grady Health System broke its prior record for COVID-19 patients Wednesday, all while it copes with the highest number of trauma cases in its history, its administrators said. The escalating demand on hospital beds is also showing up in a sharp spike in requests for protective gear.[bolding mine --MD]

The drop in available beds for the critically ill took place quickly. Just before the Fourth of July weekend, none of the regions that make up the state’s hospital emergency response network had critical care bed availability of less than 15%.

We are headed for a crisis as hospitalizations now have passed the prior peak" [bolding mine --MD]” said del Rio.
Front page, https://www.ajc.com/news/are-headed-for-crisis-hospital-beds-dwindle-virus-cases-soar/I1KwQCh0Sji5zVq1MoywJL/

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

I hope your governor wakes up before your state passes AZ!  What a mess our country is in.  But let's go watch the butterflies, there is nothing to see here.  I can't believe the lack of humanity we are seeing.

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

Msnbc just showed a graph that shows GA new case numbers are right below AZ - 9,000+ vs 11,000 plus.

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

The number of new cases hit a new high today:  4484, but because the number was 2837 on July 9 before after two straight days of more than 3400 on July 7 and 8, I'm suspicious of a reporting glitch for July 9 inflating today's number.

The number of deaths jumped from 8 (on July 9) to 35, after 18, 21, and 23.  Again, I'm suspicious of a a reporting glitch on the July 9.

The objective seems to be to keep the businesses open at any cost to the workers so the stockholders and owners won't suffer excessive losses.  We're definitely seeing an unbelievable lack of humanity.  

jeri says:  "But let's go watch the butterflies . . . ."

Due to the global los of billions of insects and the fact that the easement was poisoned last fall by Georgia Transmission, there are practically no butterflies to see, even in my zinnia bed, which usually has numerous to many. 

Just as the lack of humanity is depressing,  the lack of insects is depressing. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

Oh, that's awful!  And now you've actually got time to photograph them.  We don't have butterflies near here.  Lack of flowering plants, maybe!  There is a butterfly garden in Phx that I always thought would be terrific to visit but time ran out.

I saw a graph of AZ cases that claimed we'd had a great decline early last month but it was because the SonoraQuest labs had failed to report their results.  So I suspect your analysis is right...reporting glitch somewhere.  We've had over 3100 a day all week.

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

jeri says:  "Msnbc just showed a graph that shows GA new case numbers are right below AZ - 9,000+ vs 11,000 plus."

For what time frame?  A weeks?  Let me see if I can find the chart.

I can't find it.  So, using the AJC coronavirus dashboard, where I have been getting all the numbers I've used for Georgia, I brought out the old calculator, blew off the dust and came up with these numbers

June 28 to July 4  18,334 new cases
July 5 through today  17,892 new cases (obviously this week will exceed last week when they add Saturday's numebers)

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/jvoLBozRtBSVSNQDDAuZxH/

I'm not sure what time frame that chart showed.  

Based upon what we've been reporting to each other, Arizona has more new cases daily than Georgia, but Georgia is catching up.  I think the mask mandates in Savannah, Atlanta, Athens (where University of Georgia is located), and several other small cities will help, but there will probably be a two week delay, but the virus could increase so much by then that the declines aren't significant. 

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

I THINK it was a 7 day time frame based on the 11,000 for AZ.  That is about our weekly number. So July 3 - 10, or 2-9?  I don't think it was a calendar week Sun - Sat, but the past 7 days.  MSNBC has a graph on the screen for highest numbers in deaths, states, the world that is a 7 day count.  I watch it when I take my AM treatments, but no sound, Lol.

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

Thank you.

Yeah.  The immense decline in the numbers of insects worldwide deeply concerns me. 

Whatever Georgia Transmission used last fall was so thorough that there have been very few blooming flowers this year.  Of course poisoning the plants killed habitats so whatever usually wintered over could not.  Butterfly migrations start in August.  There's practically no host plants for them -- and the easement runs for miles through suburban areas and is a passageway for migrating butterflies.

Of course, the worldwide declines are attributed to the use of herbicides and insecticides and the conversion of open land to farm land.

If you all are running 3100 a day, then we're running ahead of or neck and neck with you the past few days.

MerlinsDad

Jul-10

Here's a link to the New York Times coronavirus dashboard

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/arizona-coronavirus-cases.html

According to it, the 7 day running average is more than 3600.

They're using the same chart as the AJC where I get the numbers I post.  They haven't posted July 10 yet for either state, so our 7 day running average is affected by the blip yesterday.  It's actually running above 2400.

I just noticed something.  Arizona's death total is 2088, whereas Georgia's is 2915.   

Jeri (azpaints)

Jul-10

I'm not an insect fan, but am well aware of their value in the eco system.  We spray cause we've got three poisonous ones here...black widow, scorpion and brown recluse.  DH got bit by a brown recluse earlier this year, as did my son.  Their bites are particularly nasty.