Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Posts   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Jul-14 by kizmet1; 1200 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

See if someone can come out and fix it. Is it possible it was disconnected? There is usually a pull down string or something attached to the mechanism you can use to disengage it if the power goes out.

• Edited July 19, 2020 3:30 pm  by  Showtalk
kizmet1

Jul-19

I use the pull down to open it.
I do not know who to call. I do not feel I want to put more money into a new opener when this one has had so little use. 2 in 25 years? I know people still on their first one.
It wouldn't make a spinning noise if disconnected. The spin is the motor trying to work.
  • Edited July 19, 2020 6:46 pm  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

Call and find out how much it costs for an evaluation and potential fix.  The evaluation should be free.  It’s possible they can fix it. If it’s new, it should be covered under warranty.

kizmet1

Jul-19

It is about 7 years old. Do you suggest looking for a Sears expert or someone working close by?
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

I’m not sure.  If yu can find a good repair person, they can fix any kind of door or mechanism, if they can get parts.  I would not tell them what I think is wrong but ask them to tell me.

kizmet1

Jul-19

I have found that there are many repair people who have taken advantage of women living alone. That is what happened with my car.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-20

That is why you should not tell them you live alone. They don’t need to know that. I also suggest not telling anyone what you think the problem is, because if you are wrong then they can use that as an advantage to sell something more than is needed.  If you research companies, you should be able to find one that is honest.  If you know someone who has experience with various repairs who can give a good reference, that is a starting point. Yelp reviews can be helpful, although if someone has all good reviews, they may have paid for bad ones to be hidden. If they have all bad reviews, they probably are bad. 

kizmet1

Jul-20

Yelp is a good idea. Thanks.
If you saw my yard you would know I live alone.
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-20

They still should not take advantage.  Anyone can give them a bad yelp review, which means they don’t know going in if you would or not.

• Edited July 20, 2020 10:46 am  by  Showtalk