Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Science shows children don’t transmit COVID, so schools can reopen?   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Jul-19 by Showtalk; 1464 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Jul-19

Science shows children don't transmit COVID, so schools can reopen?
  • This proves schools should reopen4  votes
    30%
  • We need more research7  votes
    53%
  • I don't believe in the science1  vote
    7%
  • It doesn't matter, schools should not reopen until 2021 or later0  votes
    0%
  • Other1  vote
    7%
This proves schools should reopen 
We need more research 
I don't believe in the science 
It doesn't matter, schools should not reopen until 2021 or later 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

In reply toRe: msg 2
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

Dr. Scott Atlas: Too much hysteria over school reopenings

Former chief of neuroradiology at Stanford University Medical Center, Dr. Scott Atlas, weighs in on keeping schools safe amid the coronavirus pandemic on 'America's Newsroom.'

In reply toRe: msg 3
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

In reply toRe: msg 4
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-19

kizmet1

Jul-19

Daycare in Lake Grove OR, outside of Portland (age 6mo-6yr) had 6 kids sick when outbreak discovered. Last I heard they now have 26 people consisting of kids, staff and parents. Hmmmm?
Msg 4146.7 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Jul-19

Depends on age

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

Here's a plain English summary of that study

A large new study from South Korea offers an answer: Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero. And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.

The findings suggest that as schools reopen, communities will see clusters of infection take root that include children of all ages, several experts cautioned.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

Here's an informative article from July 16

While the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has long maintained on its website that those younger than 18 make up only 2% of cases, state data paints a much less rosy picture. California and Mississippi, for instance, are recording rates nearing 10% of overall cases. Florida has found that about a third of all children tested there are infected.

In response to questions from Bloomberg, the CDC cited a chart, updated today, with data from the states showing children make up 6.4% of those infected, though information isn’t included on almost 1 million cases. The numbers are rising, epidemiologists say, as testing has become more available to those with mild or no symptoms, encompassing many of the pediatric cases, and as those under 18 are increasingly involved in social activities  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-16/childhood-covid-19-infections-mount-with-schools-eyeing-openings?utm_campaign=news&utm_medium=bd&utm_source=applenews

I think the best answer to the question is that we need much more research.

MerlinsDad

Jul-20

July 20

Arizona doctors urge governor not to open schools

Eighty-seven doctors signed a letter to Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey urging the state leader to keep schools shut for at least the first quarter of the academic year  [bolding mine --MD].

"Many of us are also parents of school-age children," the letter says. "The tremendous pressure to return to in-person schooling in August is ill advised and dangerous given the uncontrolled spread of Covid-19 in our community."

The letter comes in response to an order issued by the governor last month which limits the amount of funding for schools who don't open for in-person instruction for at least five days a week  [bolding mine --MD].

"We understand the terrible predicament that school districts across the state face as a result of this executive order: choosing between the financial solvency of their district and the health of their students, staff and community," the letter says.
"No educator should be forced to make this choice."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/us/arizona-schools-doctors-warning/index.html
In reply toRe: msg 9
Showtalk
Staff

Jul-20

They are doing irreparable harm to schools and to children. More parents than ever will turn to homeschooling as a better choice than hit or miss public school at home. There will a,so be a huge push toward school choice.

I ran into someone when I was out whose child is doing so well at homeschooling, they have withdrawn from public school and will never go back.  The parents have teamed up to get their kids together via chat and she has even put together a PE program they can do from home. They found some online courses with other kids to make up the loss.  The only thing her child loses is sports and things like Boy scouts or camping which won’t be allowed for a long time. Those can be picked up later.  Schools will never go back to what they were once parents realize they have choices.