Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

If Facebook is the new Cigarettes then this is what we must learn from 1970 TV a   The Online You: Internet Life

Started Jul-27 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 821 views.

Essentially, Facebook and Twitter have become toxic products that are damaging the mental health of millions, much like cigarettes damage people's lungs. However, regulating them needs to proceed with caution to avoid just playing straight into their hands and making things worse.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90530589/if-facebook-is-the-new-cigarettes-then-this-is-what-we-must-learn-from-the-1970-tv-ad-ban

... Just before the stroke of midnight on December 31, 1970, Virginia Slims aired a new commercial during The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. It was a celebration of the progress women have made over the last century or something. It was also the last TV commercial for cigarettes in the United States. ...

... The social equivalent of the 1970 ban could be something like Facebook asking Congress to regulate its business, as the company has done, then work to influence that regulation so it doesn’t really have a material effect, while still appeasing critics and limiting would-be rivals. If that seems unlikely, just look at Big Tobacco and the 28% of young people who are vaping. ... ... The rise of social media has unleashed a rash of consequences, not the least of which are hateful content and disinformation and an epidemic of cyberbullying, among other impacts on kids around mental health, depression, anxiety, and more. ...

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-27

They are so good at manipulating their ways around restrictions.

Yes. I knew Facebook and Twitter were toxic for one's mental health but the comparison to cigarettes really was an analogy I kind of wish I'd thought of first, because it does kind of fit.

And like Big Tobacco, they can be counted on to exploit people's naivete to do much like Bre'r Rabbit when he begged to not be thrown in that briar patch. Most people under the age of maybe 55 or so likely have been denied access to that story, as Disney managed to later pull it from circulation because of the era in which it was set, despite some of the life lessons Uncle Remus told.

Anyway, as you know, I'm the curmudgeon that absolutely refuses to touch Facebook with a 10 meter cattle prod.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-28

Yes you are, and you are not the only one. Facebook was started as a way for college students to connect with other students.  I wonder if people knew what it would become if they would have embraced it the way they did.

Showtalk said:

Facebook was started as a way for college students to connect with other students.

and also it was mostly guy students who would exchange -ahem- comments about various female students, kind of like the digital age version of a wolf whistle only they could hear.

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-28

I don’t know, I didn’t use it when it was new.

Showtalk said:

I don’t know, I didn’t use it when it was new.

I still don't use it even to this day so all I know is what I've read in various scattered articles and sometimes synopses of legal filings and similar things that show up in certain geek type publications.

kizmet1

Jul-30

Years ago, I used a fake name and went on FB. It was to join a group protesting the cancellation of a tv show. I went only ince. Didn't post an email. Soon, I noticed I was getting spam saying so and so was interested in hearing from me. Worst if all, I started getting a ton of messages from.people with Arabic names. I had used a name similiar to Kizmet. Finally, I had to stop using that email account. Next, I found a person on the internet working on my same Russian name. She was Cuban and in Miami and on FB. I suddenly started getting FB notices telling me about possible friends and restaurants in Miami. I had to ask my.new contact to adjust her settings as I. had no intention of going to Miami just to eat at a Cuban restaurant. Finally, there was a big hearing about the unwanted spam being sent and the invasion of privacy by FB. The junk stopped.

Yep, that one brush with Facebook tends to unleash an avalanche of stuff.

Someone else I know who once used a sock for Facebook says he just abandoned the email address entirely, and when he replaced the computer a couple of years later, evidently all the spam and stuff is just going to /dev/null on a server somewhere.

kizmet1

Jul-30

I think that is what happened to my email address. I just felt so used by FB after only one post. Lucky for me I used a fake name.