Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you buy Toilet paper based on # of rolls or equivalents?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Aug-1 by Showtalk; 1032 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Aug-1

Do you buy Toilet paper based on # of rolls or equivalents?
  • I look for "28 mega rolls = 90 regular rolls"0  votes
    0%
  • I look for the best quailty I can find, regardless of amount1  vote
    9%
  • I get the largest number of rolls I can find in a package2  votes
    18%
  • It's all marketing hype. I buy whatever I can find2  votes
    18%
  • I shop for price and I change brands all the time0  votes
    0%
  • I always buy the same brand if I can find it.4  votes
    36%
  • More than one of the above1  vote
    9%
  • Other1  vote
    9%
I look for "28 mega rolls = 90 regular rolls" 
I look for the best quailty I can find, regardless of amount 
I get the largest number of rolls I can find in a package 
It's all marketing hype. I buy whatever I can find 
I shop for price and I change brands all the time 
I always buy the same brand if I can find it. 
More than one of the above 
Other 

I look at the package at how many plies it is, multiply that by sheets per roll, then by the number of rolls per package. This comes up with a total "ply-sheets per package".

Then I divide the price per package by the raw sheet*ply count for that package, which gives me a price per ply-square. Then I repeat with the price per sheet, to compare 2 ply vs 1 ply.

If the single ply is, say, much less per ply-sheet than 2 ply, I'll get the single ply and just double it up during use.

If the 2 ply comes up less than the single ply as a function of ply-sheet, then I'll get that. But I'll open a spreadsheet with the formulas in there, and just fill in the ply count, the sheets per roll, and rolls per package, and let the spreadsheet do all the math for a quick comparison, since every smart phone can run this kind of application. I think LibreOffice can be installed on an Android OS phone. Not sure about the Apple products because I never joined that cult.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-2

I don’t understand the idea that you can by a package with 12 rolls of paper and end up with 48 rolls.  You would also have the calculate square inches.  I was so intrigued, I read the comments on Amazon for the worst offenders an found complaints that the paper was narrower than regular, and of poorer quality. I don’t even bother to calculate. If I buy a package of 12 or 24 or some other quantity, I assume I’m getting 12 rolls or 24 rolls.

kizmet1

Aug-2

I buy mine according to price per square. I only get it at Costco in case I they do not have my "best buy" which has been Marathon.
I think it is silly to buy only the softest brand when it is going to be tossed away shortly after using it.
  • Edited August 2, 2020 11:59 am  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-2

It’s a very personal decision about a personal product. I thought it was silly to promote sales by advertising more rolls than there are in the package.

kizmet1

Aug-2

I didn't see that here or else I don't pay attention to ads?

I have been known to get out a tape measure in a store and measure the width of the rolls to get the square size, because that is one of the other factors.

Another way to do it is to bring along a portable scale and actually weigh the package, as well as measure the total volume. A very high square count and low physical density package, will be the softest and probably the best bargain if the price is similar.

kizmet1

Aug-2

Shhh, don't let it get around but the size is printed on the bag. Just discovered it. I used to lift the bags to see if one brand was heavier than the other.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-2

It’s printed on the wrappers

kizmet1

Aug-2

Great minds run in the same direction. I just posted that to Rocketman, lol.