Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gun purchases skyrocket   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-3 by MerlinsDad; 981 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-3

news item  August 3, 2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/politics/gun-background-checks-fbi/index.html

As the nation has grappled with a global pandemic and images of some rioters causing damage after hijacking peaceful protests demanding racial justice, more and more Americans appear to be arming themselves.

In July 2020, the FBI conducted more than 3.6 million firearm background checks, making it the third highest month on record for checks since the bureau began keeping statistics in 1998, according to new data released on Monday by the agency. By comparison, the bureau conducted just over 2 million checks in July 2019.

Background checks associated with the sale, transfer or permitting of firearms set an all-time record in June when the FBI conducted more than 3.9 million checks, followed by March 2020 when the agency saw 3.7 million checks.

One other enduring pattern in 2020 has been the order of states topping the list, with Illinois, Kentucky, Texas, Florida and California continually seeing the most background checks for the sale, transfer, or licensing of guns.

It is not uncommon for high numbers of FBI firearm background checks to follow incidents of national tragedy. In 2012, federal law enforcement noted a 39% spike in firearm transfer background checks during the month of the deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, as compared to the previous month. The FBI similarly saw a 48% surge in background checks in the month of the 2015 terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California, when compared to the previous month.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/03/politics/gun-background-checks-fbi/index.html
With all the fear mongering we've had recently, it's really no surprise.  I just hope all the new owners get adequate training.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-3

This is not a surprise given the riots and cutbacks to police. Minneapolis police told residents to give up their property if robbed.

one more reason to not live in a deep blue state or city.

If the response to robbery in a widespread emergency is always and consistently deadly force, and make sure the perp is really dead so there's no witness against you, then it's just one less perp on the street. and in a police free zone, essentially in a war zone, the odds become better of not being caught for killing the perp compared to normal times.

Hopefully nothing ever gets that bad.

But definitely, a place where one would have no option but give up their means of possibly getting home that day - especially with the kind of stuff that is in a phone these days - having that taken could mean the bad guys could then use that information (or stuff in your wallet) to follow you home.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

I had something stolen once when I was not near it, fortunately, and got a call from the thieves.  Very scary stuff which the police couldn’t do anything about.  They got a hold of something that could allow them to walk right in. But we had already changed it, so nothing happened.  The police were very ineffective in that case.  It would be easier to track now si de people have phone ID and calls can be traced.

Fortunately at least here in Texas, we do have a "Castle Law". if they show up on your doorstep, having already taken something from you to know where you live, the moment they try to come in, you can send them out in a box.

But what is more scary is - by the time you could navigate all the artificial hurdles by Covid-19 and short hours and all the stuff, they could take the information and completely drain your bank accounts, even do something like a mortgage fraud and put the wheels in motion to steal your house.

That is one reason I don't use a phone for any financial or related info. But if they take that and carjack you, then you're stranded a lot further from home and no means to notify anyone what has happened for several hours, by which time they might have gone and cleaned out the house knowing you're stranded 20 miles away.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

And exposed to covid if a carjacker is sick.

If someone were trying to rob me I'd pull my mask up and deliberately spit on the mo-fo followed up with a few good coughs.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

That should scare him off.