Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do the end of eviction / foreclosure moratoriums affect you?   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-4 by $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S); 1629 views.
$1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Poll Question From $1,661.87 in cats (ROCKETMAN_S)

Aug-4

Do the end of eviction / foreclosure moratoriums affect you?
  • Yes. I know someone facing eviction soon0  votes
    0%
  • Yes I may be homeless soon0  votes
    0%
  • Yes I am a landlord who has been struggling0  votes
    0%
  • Yes I am a landlord who has already lost tenants0  votes
    0%
  • No, this has not affected me yet10  votes
    76%
  • The obligatory other3  votes
    23%
Yes. I know someone facing eviction soon 
Yes I may be homeless soon 
Yes I am a landlord who has been struggling 
Yes I am a landlord who has already lost tenants 
No, this has not affected me yet 
The obligatory other 
In reply toRe: msg 1

Like much of the coronavirus pandemic, it is hitting those with lower incomes, among the invisible service workers that are underappreciated and underpaid, the "invisible people" that are outside of the middle class "monkeysphere", such as "the thing that makes the drinks appear" or "the thing that makes the floors get clean" or "the thing that makes packages appear from afar".

https://apnews.com/833d91877e2f0fa913c5258978a9e83c

Kelyn Yanez used to clean homes during the day and wait tables at night in the Houston area before the coronavirus. But the mother of three lost both jobs in March because of the pandemic and now is facing eviction. ... “Right now, I have nothing,” said Yanez, who briefly got her bar job back when the establishment reopened, but lost it again when she and her 4-year-old daughter contracted the virus in June and had to quarantine. The apartment owners “don’t care if you’re sick, if you’re not well. Nobody cares here. They told me that I had to have the money.”

... “I can’t believe this happened to me because I work hard,” said Blunt, whose eviction is at the mercy of the federal moratorium. “I don’t have any money coming in. I don’t have nothing. I don’t know what to do. ... My heart is so heavy.” Along with exacerbating a housing crisis in many cities that have long been plagued by a shortage of affordable options, widespread discrimination and a lack of resources for families in need, the spike in filings is raising concerns that housing courts could spread the coronavirus. ...

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

I don’t see a solution.

That is the sort of symptoms that you see where a system is about to fail catastrophically.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-4

Or when more props are needed. This is why politicians are elected in local districts. To help resolve serious problems.  I would like to see some of these congress people doing something proactive rather than just running for re-election.

Showtalk said:

Or when more props are needed. This is why politicians are elected in local districts. To help resolve serious problems.

The Achille's Heel revealed by the pandemic is that when days count, a solution is years away.

MerlinsDad

Aug-4

Thanks for posting

News item  July 27 https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/27/how-the-eviction-crisis-will-impact-each-state.html

This chart is informative, showing the potential evictions by state.  This is scary.  It's definitely catastrophic, as showtalk says.

On Friday, the federal moratorium on evictions in properties with federally backed mortgages and for tenants who receive government-assisted housing expired. The Urban Institute estimated that provision covered nearly 30% of the country’s rental units.

By one estimate, some 40 million Americans (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/unemployment-stimulus-checks-what-to-expect-as-relief-measures-end.html) could be evicted during the public health crisis. 

It will be a humanitarian crisis of a magnitude you'd expect to see in a war-torn 3rd World country.

Worst of the worst - Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, West Virginia.

Surprisingly, Texas is damned close to the 50% mark, along with Missouri and Kentucky, and Iowa.

Ending up in an overcrowded homeless shelter in extreme heat or cold, with eleventy bazillion people spreading virus around is not going to end well.

MerlinsDad

Aug-4

And Georgia is also very close to 50%. 

And as bad a scenario you describe, having increasing numbers of homeless people with no place to go (because the shelters are full) is, as you say, a humanitarian crisis of biblical proportions.  Trying to feed them seems heraculean with food banks and charity soup kitchens already stressed.  Congress needs to act soon to prevent a crisis of this magnitude.

MerlinsDad said:

Trying to feed them seems heraculean with food banks and charity soup kitchens already stressed. Congress needs to act soon to prevent a crisis of this magnitude.

and as someone said, Congress fiddles while the economy burns. Or someone else put it more like Congress is too distracted choking their chicken while watching hentai to notice.