Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hope you are not dependent on Social Security or need Medicare   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-8 by MerlinsDad; 1163 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-24

Everything

links?

• Edited August 24, 2020 11:49 am  by  MerlinsDad
MerlinsDad

Aug-24

a kick in the teeth that won't help anything.

Wouldn't be the first kick in a vulnerable place.

MerlinsDad

Aug-24

Highly questionable qualifier.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-24

If we can’t take people at their word, then there is no system.  For as long as I can remember they have been saying the Republicans are going to take away social security, but they haven’t and in the end have not wanted to.  At first it sounded dreadful but now it sounds like more hot air.  I’m so discouraged with the way this whole situation we are in has been treated, I no longer respect the media to do their job.

MerlinsDad

Aug-24

news item by Teresa Ghilarducci, August 23, 2019
https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresaghilarducci/2019/08/23/trumps-second-term-plan-for-social-security-starve-the-beast/#69b703a13794

And this article was published before we ever heard of Covid_19.  It's well worth reading.

Sen. John Thune (R-SD), the second-ranking Senate Republican, expressed hope to the New York Times that Trump would be “interested” in reforming Social Security and Medicare. Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) was even more optimistic. “We’ve brought it up with President Trump, who has talked about it being a second-term project,” Barrasso said. Senate Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has made no secret of wanting to cut Social Security

In using deficit fears to target entitlement programs, many Republicans are hoping to use Trump's second term to cut Medicare and Social Security. First, expand deficits through tax cuts, then declare that spending must be slashed. The chief target of these proposed cuts is Social Security, which historians have noted the mainstream Republican party has long sought to diminish, privatize, or both. 

Since past behavior is a good predictor of future behavior,  and many Republicans are signaling they want to, Republicans will likely argue for cuts to Social Security and Medicare when a recession inevitably hits. This can be seen as a reprise of the tactic known as “starve the beast.”

“Starve the beast” is a political two-step that first generates deficits through tax cuts and, second, points to the alarmingly high deficits to attack government spending and reduce entitlements. Credited to an unnamed Reagan administration official in 1985 and long associated with Reagan economic guru David Stockman, the notion of “starve the beast” emerged from around the time of Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts, which were not paired with simultaneous spending reductions. 

Today, you can see the “starve the beast” tactic clearly in the 2017 tax cuts—the main cause of the projected record deficits—to future spending cuts.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-24

They are never going to do it. Never.

MerlinsDad

Aug-24

They're Republicans.  You're far more hopeful than I.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-24

I’m not hopeful at all, but going on past history. When they had the opportunity to cut, they did not. You may not be aware but Republicans are big spenders, too. They don’t want to cut existing programs either, and lose votes.

Msg 4221.39 deleted
MerlinsDad

Aug-24

It is common knowledge that Social Security is in a crisis and that a solution must be forthcoming relatively soon.  I recommend you do some reading to understand what solutions are being proposed. 

• Edited August 24, 2020 11:50 pm  by  MerlinsDad