Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Health officials are quitting or getting fired amid outbreak   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-11 by MerlinsDad; 238 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-11

At a time when we need health expertise more than ever, we're losing health leaders. 

excerpts from a news report by Michelle R. Smith and Lauren Weber, August 11
https://apnews.com/8ea3b3669bccf8a637b81f8261f1cd78

bolding mine --MD

Vilified, threatened with violence and in some cases suffering from burnout, dozens of state and local public health leaders around the U.S. have resigned or have been fired amid the coronavirus outbreak, a testament to how politically combustible masks, lockdowns and infection data have become.

One of the latest departures came Sunday, when California’s public health director, Dr. Sonia Angell, was ousted following a technical glitch that caused a delay in reporting hundreds of thousands of virus test results — information used to make decisions about reopening businesses and schools.

A review by the Kaiser Health News service and The Associated Press finds at least 49 state and local public health leaders have resigned, retired or been fired since April across 23 states. The list has grown by more than 20 people since the AP and KHN started keeping track in June.

Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, called the numbers stunning. He said they reflect burnout, as well as attacks on public health experts and institutions from the highest levels of government, including from President Donald Trump, who has sidelined the CDC during the pandemic.

“The overall tone toward public health in the U.S. is so hostile that it has kind of emboldened people to make these attacks,” Frieden said.

The departures come at a time when public health expertise is needed more than ever, said Lori Tremmel Freeman, CEO of the National Association of County and City Health Officials.

“We’re moving at breakneck speed here to stop a pandemic, and you can’t afford to hit the pause button and say, ‘We’re going to change the leadership around here and we’ll get back to you after we hire somebody,’” Freeman said..

Many of the firings and resignations have to do with conflicts over mask orders or social distancing shutdowns, Freeman said. Despite the scientific evidence, many politicians and others have argued that such measures are not needed, no matter what health experts tell them

Alfi (THIALFI)

Aug-11

Why should people subject themselves to abuse when they can move out of the public domain, not be subjected to it, and live perfectly comfortably?

The Seattle police chief has resigned after 28 years of service, obviously due to actions and statements of the mayor and city council. She'll get a pension and (I suspect) has many far less stressful work opportunities elsewhere.

MerlinsDad

Aug-11

That's a good question.  Many seem to be resigning because of the abuse and the threats.  I don't blame them. 

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-11

It’s appalling the way they are treated for just doing their jobs.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-11

She has been an excellent chief of police. Any city will be lucky to get her.  

kizmet1

Aug-14

Portland also had a great black woman police chief. By lucky coincidence for her, she quit and took over in Philly in January.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-14

We don’t hear much about Philly, so she must be doing a good job.

kizmet1

Aug-14

yes, I am sure she is.
A Black educated the first 12 years in Catholic schools in Oakland, college at Pepperdine. She worked her way up in Oakland until movibg to Portland. She got out just in time. Her replacement was a very experienced blonde woman who, when things got rough, suggested a highly regarded black man take over. I don't think it helped. Rioters have no respect for experience or race.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-14

They hate all police so it doesn’t matter who has the job.

kizmet1

Aug-15

Sure seems that way here. I hate to see people with so much dedication having to deal with all the violence.