Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

If you're a blue-collar worker, Trump is not your friend   The Serious You: Politics

Started Aug-12 by MerlinsDad; 230 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-12

This is a good opinion piece about what Trump has not done for and, just as often, has done to American workers.  The list is fairly lengthy, as you would expect, and the piece is well worth reading, especially if you are or support American workers.

Opinion piece by Steven Greenhouse, August 11
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/opinions/how-trump-has-betrayed-blue-collar-workers-greenhouse/index.html

Opening

It has long been confounding that President Donald Trump's strongest supporters are Whites with only a high school education. This is bewildering because the Trump administration has repeatedly and systematically hurt America's blue-collar workers and favored corporations over them.

Although Trump ran in 2016 as a champion of the working class, he has undermined them again and again. His administration has adopted no enforceable rules whatsoever to protect these workers from the spread of Covid-19, not for factories, construction sites, warehouses or any other places where his most loyal followers are at risk of getting sick and dying.

Conclusion:

If you're a blue-collar worker, whether White, Black or brown, who cares primarily about banning abortions or bashing immigrants or having right-wing judicial appointments, then Trump is your guy. But if you are a blue-collar worker who cares about your economic well-being and opportunities for your children, Trump is not your friend

kizmet1

Aug-12

I know from personal experience that most politicians of both parties only care about blue collar workers on paper at election time but not by action.
MerlinsDad

Aug-12

Thank you for your observation.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-12

Trump may not, but the Democratic Party left that demographic behind.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-12

That is true of most demographics. Politicians care most about voters during election times.   I have mentored before how inaccessible and invisible my representatives are.  Senators are even worse. One is out of office now, but I tried to contact their office once and found I could not. Their email was either disconnected or down.  No one answered their phones.  I had no faith they would read physical letters,.

kizmet1

Aug-12

My experiences with politicians goes back decades. I had a very casual relationship as a child with a lame duck's asst. Also with asst's relatives. Along came a newcomer supporting "grey panthers" in southern part of state. He won the primary due to their support. Don't know what happened to grey panthers. Dem spends his spare time with wife #2 in NYC, not his home state.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-12

I have had connections to very local politicians but not to many of our state or national elected officials.  We knew one a long time ago but he didn’t last long.  Someone else wanted that position and targeted him.

kizmet1

Aug-12

That is what happened here. The nice Dem politician even sent a self typed letter to an organization I belonged to, typos and all, lol. His asst had a son who was the neighborhood brat until he got too close to a baseball bat. Could have gone blind or been brain damaged. Got close as he needed glasses at a young age but no one knew it.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-12

He didn’t get his eyes tested?

kizmet1

Aug-12

Not as a little boy. Most parents discovered their kids had eye problems after having the schools test them. He was too young for school.when he got hit.
Another neighbor didn't have a school test for a long time because the class ran out of time and her surname was at the end of tge list so she got skipped. Once her dr had her tested and she got glasses she always had her nose in a book.
  • Edited August 12, 2020 5:29 pm  by  kizmet1