Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

In the Republican Party, the inmates are running the asylum   The Serious You: Politics

Started Aug-12 by MerlinsDad; 546 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-12

This opinion piece by SE Cupp is well worth reading. 

Opinion piece by SE Cupp, August 12, 2020
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/opinions/qanon-candidate-inmates-running-asylum-cupp/index.html

"Conspiracy theorists won a major victory on Tuesday...."  [ quotation from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-qanon-georgia-primary.html] 

That's because a Republican supporter of QAnon, a fringe group of quacks who believe President Donald Trump is under constant attack by deep-state, satanic child molesters, won her House primary runoff election in Georgia's 14th Congressional District, one of the country's reddest,

The corruption and co-opting of the Republican Party by conspiracy theorists, anti-science promoters, White nationalists and kooks is becoming more total with every passing day.

This is all in no small part thanks to President Trump, the Conspiracy Theorist in Chief.

From his promotion of Obama birtherism, to his continued and baseless belief that Covid-19 will miraculously disappear, to his praise for a doctor who's pushed theories on alien DNA and "demon sperm," [see https://people.com/politics/donald-trump-says-he-was-impressed-by-doctor-coronavirus-video/ for additional information on this person] he's worked very hard to normalize what would otherwise be known as utter lunacy. And it's had the intended effect down-ballot.

In some ways, it's as if the inmates are now running the asylum. Trump effectively turned the GOP into a padded-cell madhouse where up could be down, left could be right and blue could be green...if he decided so. And now the fringiest adherents have swiped the keys from the few remaining guards that were hoping to keep the place in order.

That Trump has been able to do this falls squarely on the shoulders of the Republican Party, which allows these baseless theories to run rampant and unchecked -- and has refused to prevent its party from being transformed into a safe haven for quacks, bigots and ignoramuses.

The GOP's tacit and in many cases explicit support of these kinds of candidates and political appointees -- not to mention the President -- has stripped all meaning away from the party

Being a Republican today is more synonymous with White nationalism, anti-science, and conspiracy theories than any clear set of principles or policies. So long as you suck up to Trump, today's "Republican" doesn't have to really believe in or support anything else.

What she doesn't mention is that Marjorie Taylor Greene's opponent, although less given to quackery,  was just as radical as she [https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-qanon-georgia-primary.html], or at least just as extreme a conservative and pro-Trumpite, who Cupp describes as the Conspiracy Theorist in Chief.

BWArtist

Aug-13

These Qanon people are the biggest suckers on earth. When they cluster in front of a camera with their t shirts proudly out front, it's embarrassing to have to call them American. Is the Congressional district that Marji Greene will serve in the same neighborhood that the bigoted father and son team were caught lynching a black guy by rifles?

MerlinsDad

Aug-13

District 14 is northeast of Atlanta.  Brunswick is on the coast, far to the southeast of Atlanta.

David Purdue, one of the senators from Georgia is one of the radical Republicans, a minion of Trump.

Kelly Loeffler, the other Senator, was appointed by the gub'ner to fill Johnny Isakson's seat when he retired.  She was sworn in January 6 this year.  I read a newspaper article in the AJC recently which stated that in order to campaign against Doug Colllins (currently a Representative), another radical Republican and Trump acolyte, she is having to style herself as radical and as much a Trump devotee as he.  She is co-owner of the Atlanta Dream, WNBA team, and has stated publicly that she does not approve of the players' support of Black Lives Matter movement and the league's willingness to have "Black Lives Matter." on the jerseys. 

Georgia politics take some strange forms.  It seems that every candidate tries to prove himself or herself more conservative than his or her opponent. 

BWArtist

Aug-14

I seen Trump was  asked  a direct question as to him supporting Greene and the statements she's made. He responded with his repetitive She's a very fine woman routine then put the reporter on the ignore and would not further respond.Well at least he didn't just walk off the stage like he did the other day. Must be rough having to cozy up to crazy just for some votes to add to your voter suppression techniques.

MerlinsDad

Aug-15

Must be rough having to cozy up to crazy just for some votes to add to your voter suppression techniques.

My question is "which is the crazy?" and "What voters does he want?"

BWArtist

Aug-17

I think crazy needs to be clarified to lazy. Lazy in thought. And his supporters show this every day in many ways. From the get go many wanted to believe in clean coal instead of renewable energy. These naysayers found solace in a perceived rich guy willing to massage their lazy ways instead of being told they would have to retool and learn new skills to earn a living.

This Qanon belief hoax is just another version of being lazy in thought. In this case they want to believe in their perceived conspiracies so much that they are willing to give their devotion to a criminal. Just because he holds high office and can give the dog whistle perception of presidential validation of their beliefs. Never mind having to do a little simple research and find out that they are being taken advantage of by a con man.

Then there are a large group of them that suffer from pride. And even if they could admit to themselves they were conned they never would admit that to anyone else. Social circles have been developed to help reinforce the clusters of devotees swallowed up in the con.

If you remember the old movie starring George C Scott called The Flim Flam Man, there is a main moral to the story which is that The best con job is when your victim is either too embarrassed, ashamed or too full of pride to admit they made a mistake publicly to all of their social group. So much so that they will defend the honor of the person that just ripped them off as the conman skips out of town.

In our country;s current situation , the conman is president. And by golly his supporters that sober up from his fog will never admit they were found to be ignorant ,gullible or even ,,, lazy. Lookin for quick gains.

So looking at it that way, crazy isn't really definitive to the disease. Better to call it for what it is. An emotional social disease. Much worse than Chlamydia,Syphilis or Gonorrhea combined.

The presidential  conman secures what the victim wants  to hear. Saying you're right. They're wrong. I' m rich and your turn won't be long. Trust me and you will be rich like me.

The republican party has played this game for years. There have always been the exploiters and the exploited. The only thing different now is Trump knows how to and is willing to play the established exploiters as well. If you look close you will have seen many of them silent while Trump commits unspeakable things.

In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Aug-19

news item by Chris Cillizza August 19
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/politics/laura-loomer-donald-trump-florida/index.html

bolding mine --MD

Headline"  A self-described 'proud Islamophobe' banned from social media just won a GOP nomination

If you've paid attention to the rise of the radical right on the internet over the last few years, you know the name Laura Loomer.

Loomer is one of the most high-profile figures of this movement -- and one of its most controversial. She has described Islam as a "cancer on humanity" and said that Muslim candidates should not be allowed to hold office in America. She has called herself a "proud Islamophobe."

That behavior has led to Loomer being banned from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram -- not to mention ride-sharing services Uber and Lyft. (She tweeted in 2018 that "someone needs to create a non Islamic form of Uber or Lyft because I never want to support another Islamic immigrant driver.")

And as of Wednesday morning, Loomer is the Republican nominee in Florida's 21st District, which happens to include President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.
She won a six-way primary for the right to face Rep. Lois Frankel (D) in the general election, raising more than $1 million thanks to support from conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, pardoned Trump ally Roger Stone and Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz. Loomer campaigned as the Trumpiest candidate in the field, touting her belief in the President's "law and order" message. (Loomer is very unlikely to come to Congress; the 21st District is strongly Democrat.)
MerlinsDad

Aug-19

These naysayers found solace in a perceived rich guy willing to massage their lazy ways instead of being told they would have to retool and learn new skills to earn a living.

And that is precisely why Trump won the election.  It's not just the business owners and stockholders, however, look at the lazy crazy thought which goes into global warming denial, into coronavirus denial (Georgia, Texas, and Florida now lead the nation in new cases per capital https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/health/us-coronavirus-wednesday/index.html), efforts to nullify ACA, reducing pollution controls on cars, allowing mining on public lands, and the list goes on and on.  Lazy thought is easier than thought because someone else will do it for you.

Social circles have been developed to help reinforce the clusters of devotees swallowed up in the con.

Well stated.

The republican party has played this game for years. There have always been the exploiters and the exploited. The only thing different now is Trump knows how to and is willing to play the established exploiters as well. If you look close you will have seen many of them silent while Trump commits unspeakable things.

And I'm not sure which bothers me more:  1) the unspeakable things he says and does, or 2) the silence; 3) the complicity of McConnell and his Senatorial chorus.

New report out on Russian interference in our elections:  https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/politics/russia-investigation-fbi-paul-manafort-donald-trump-jr-donald-trump/index.html

BWArtist

Aug-26

It can get very disheartening at this point. It seems you would have to stuff  this Russian style of covert warfare inside a missile to be fired at us before at least 35 % of us would finally wake up to what is going on. One thing for sure, Putin has divided us to a point where I couldn't fully trust 40 % of my fellow citizens to be loyal to our country while sitting in my foxhole. If it came to that. Which is the social tenderizing of our population that Putin  wants before he make his kinetic military moves.

I know the devoted to Trump don't want to see these facts ,but the evidence is there. Putin benefits from Trump betraying our friends the Kurds. Putin benefits from Trump pulling our troops out of Germany and the further weakening of NATO. Putin benefits from Trump mishandling the virus crisis to cause more casualties. Putin benefits from Trump reducing many of our staff to acting instead of being Congressional approved. Putin benefits from Trump injecting corruption into all levels of our federal government. Putin benefits from Trump ridiculing our fourth estate as fake news.Putin benefits from our country divided and never allowing for any compromise between ourselves. And I could go on and on but this 35 to 40 % of our population which consists of Trump's base keep marching on in a mind controlled stupor. While insisting everything is normal. 

As soon as my ballot shows up in the mail, I'm immediately voting for Biden and taking it to my county's election headquarters so I know it will be counted. I have ancestors that fought a world war against totalitarianism and authoritarianism so I wouldn't have to do what they had to do. To me voting is honoring sacrifices made so I can retain that freedom. Despite what a corrupt president would want me to ignore. And despite what his minions think of my vote too.

MerlinsDad

Aug-27

Like you, we've sent in our application for mail-in ballots and will hand carry them to the election office.  Mail-in ballots are the only thing which make sense.  Voting is too important not to make it available to all citizens.

Your list of what makes Putin stronger is well thought out and accurate.

The airwaves have been flooded the past three days with revisionist history and lies.  I'm deeply concerned that some might actually believe that Trump is competent and concerned about the American people.  Truth has a strong liberal bias, which is precisely why Trump and his cohorts are so opposed to it.  And they have shown just how willing they are to distort it, yea! even to discard it, over these past three days.