Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2019 was the second warmest year on Record   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Aug-13 by MerlinsDad; 319 views.
MerlinsDad

Aug-13

Global Climate Report - Annual 2019

Bolding mne --MD

The year 2019 was the second warmest year in the 140-year record, with a global land and ocean surface temperature departure from average of +0.95°C (+1.71°F). This value is only 0.04°C (0.07°F) less than the record high value of +0.99°C (+1.78°F) set in 2016 and 0.02°C (0.04°F) higher than the now third highest value set in 2015 (+0.93°C / +1.67°F). The five warmest years in the 1880–2019 record have all occurred since 2015, while nine of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2005. The year 1998 currently ranks as the 10 warmest year on record. The year 2019 marks the 43rd consecutive year (since 1977) with global land and ocean temperatures, at least nominally, above the 20th century average.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201913

There's a chart in this report listing the 10 hottest years on record.

If my own temperature logs are any indication, 2020 will be the hottest on record at least for the area around Midland-Odessa.

MerlinsDad

Aug-16

And probably in hundreds of localized areas around the world.  I don't keep a log, as you do.  We've had a hot summer (and it's far from over), but I don't think we've had as many 90 degree days as last year.  On the other hand, our average temperature could well be equal to or higher than last year.  I think we've had more days of rain this summer, which might have provided a cooling effect.

I suggest that 2020 will be in the top 10.  It seems like every year is now.  Every year between 2013 and 2019 is in the top ten, according to the NOAA chart, so 2020 definitely is a candidate for that club.  The oldest member of the club is 1989 at #10. 

And it's only been since 1988 that Dr. James E. Hansen talked to Congress about global warming. 

And since that recent date, all 10 of the hottest years on record have occurred.  And man has done so little to combat the problem.  We talked about pseudoscience in another thread.  Believing that global warming is not ocurring and is not caused by the activities of man fits into the categories of magical thinking or pseudoscience.

We are going to probably see a lot of mass migrations from the coastal areas. It has already been happening because of taxes, cost of living, etc. but Covid-19 stepped on the accelerator.

Also I expect to see more northward migration as winters get more mild, and deserts get less habitable.

Of course now the population bomb warned about in the 1960s / 70s is turning into a fizzle. The Millennials aren't having children at anywhere close to replacement levels. I know a LOT of us younger Boomers and older GenX who have fewer than the 2.1 children per woman required for steady state population. Every single Millennial I know of is either single or a childless couple. They can't afford it with all the other new burdens, and so we're looking at a population collapse in another 30 years as many of us die of old age with no successor generation.

I've buried 3 out of my age group already who have zero children, and most everyone I know either doesn't have kids or they are grown and scattered to the 4 winds, and out of those, very few have grandchildren.

But it could be partly the "Birds of a feather flock together" phenomena, because we have a different set of common interests and goals when the burden of raising kids was never in the mix.

Most of those I know out of my age group who have produced any children have only one. And of those, nearly all are single. Out of about 40 or 50 people in the regular acquaintance circle I know of only 3 or 4 grandkids.

So the real problem will be what will society do with the aging population that reaches the stage where they lose their independence, their mobility, and have to be cared for on that final leg of the journey to the grave. Heck now many will even have any living relatives around to bother with final disposition of our remains after the end? Or if there are, how many can afford a traditional funeral?

That's something that Caitlyn Doughty (Ask a Mortician) goes into on a few of her YouTube videos. The $15k standard funeral is an imploding business model when it was a struggle for one couple's only child to have to pay for 2 funerals. Cremation and even in some states, human composting and other things are gaining traction, some out of just economic necessity.

It's a new normal. Population now is like on a roller coaster nearing the top of its trajectory, and headed for a near vertical drop over the next few decades.

Look at Japan for a good preview of what will happen here.

It will certainly reduce demand on the earth's resources once we get rid of 90% of the population. In another century or so that is likely to happen naturally - no need to implement a "Logan's Run" or build extermination camps or have a global thermonuclear war to thin the herd to a sustainable level.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-16

The actual amount of control people have over changing temperatures is quite small. Scientists agree on that.  The pandemic is a good example.  Transportation, which is supposedly a major cause of atmospheric changes dropped to almost nothing for a while. Air quality was better, but the temperature did not change at all.  

MerlinsDad

Aug-16

Temperature is a local phenomenon.  Global warming is a worldwide event.

• Edited August 16, 2020 10:39 pm  by  MerlinsDad
Showtalk said:

Transportation, which is supposedly a major cause of atmospheric changes dropped to almost nothing for a while.

Air travel produces high altitude contrails, which increase the planetary albedo and seed additional high altitude clouds of ice crystals.

The tin foil hat people call them "chemtrails", thinking that somehow mind control chemicals can be just sprayed into the stratosphere and somehow they will reach the ground and be inhaled by people so they will respond to the secret agenda of the ruling alien lizard people. Or something like that.

On September 12, 2001, an unprecedented and totally unplanned meteorological experiment was accidentally conducted, to see just how a total lack of chemtrails contrails affected sunlight absorption at the planetary surface over the continental U.S.

It seems that temperatures rose and cloud over was much less for the week or so that there were no civil aviation flights

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-17

The point is, every country had a decrease in emissions and there were no changes at all.  

Speaking of heat records, this past Sunday ...

https://news.yahoo.com/scorching-temperature-uss-death-valley-135311620.html

... A temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54.4 degrees Celsius) recorded in California's Death Valley on Sunday by the US National Weather Service could be the hottest ever measured with modern instruments, officials say. The reading was registered at 3:41 pm at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center in the Death Valley national park by an automated observation system -- an electronic thermometer encased inside a box in the shade. ...

... For decades, the heat record was officially the 136.4 degrees Fahrenheit (58 degrees Celsius) recorded in 1922 in El Azizia, now modern Libya.  ut a WMO panel that investigated it in detail between 2010 and 2012 stripped it of the title after finding multiple troubling aspects, including a potential problem with the thermometers and an inexperienced observer. ...

MerlinsDad

Aug-17

So the real problem will be what will society do with the aging population that reaches the stage where they lose their independence, their mobility, and have to be cared for on that final leg of the journey to the grave. Heck now many will even have any living relatives around to bother with final disposition of our remains after the end? Or if there are, how many can afford a traditional funeral?

You describe what could be a very serious problem for a lot of us.   Cremation and human composting sound like feasible, even desirable alternatives.

It's a new normal. Population now is like on a roller coaster nearing the top of its trajectory, and headed for a near vertical drop over the next few decades.

Why do you think the politicians are so opposed to abortion? 

Banning immigrants isn't a particularly far-sighted solution either.

It will certainly reduce demand on the earth's resources once we get rid of 90% of the population. In another century or so that is likely to happen naturally

I'm not confident of that outcome.  There's a number of factors which could extend that decline you describe.