Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Everyone please read if you want to post   The Serious You: Politics

Started Aug-13 by Showtalk; 321 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Aug-13

I’m posting this in the political folder since some seem to leave their minds and manners at the door when entering.  This is a very strong reminder to avoid flaming and name calling.  Also, from now on, please no name calling in discussion titles either.  A few are pushing the limits on the Start Page of this forum. I don’t like putting people on moderation but we can’t be here every moment to review your posts, so you are going to have to make some effort to behave like adults and police modulate yourselves.  It going to get even more intense as we near the election and maybe after, so please be polite. 

MerlinsDad

Aug-15

Please be clearer and more specific about what you find objectionable.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-15

I nearly changed the title on the asylum post and I may if I get complaints. That is very thoughtless toward mental illness and it also appears to call an entire political party mentally ill. That may not have been the intent, but it is not the kind of image a forum needs. 

MerlinsDad

Aug-15

That is the title of the opinion piece by S.E. Cupp.  It's not an uncommon usage; in fact, it's identified as a common idiom in the Free Dictionary.  https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+inmates+are+running+the+asylum

In fact, the example/video is "After the recent election, a new wave of political extremists have taken power in Congress.  It looks like the inmates are now running the asylum." 

The defintion they use is "The people least capable of running a group or organization are now in charge. Said especially when the result is total chaos or calamity."

wikitionary  defines it as "Said of a situation in which those in charge are incapable of handling their responsibilities, and should rather be put under scrutiny themselves."

And state that "Said to originate in a 1919 remark by Richard A. Rowland about the founding of United Artists."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lunatics_have_taken_over_the_asylum

It's been around a long time and has been used in many, many contexts that have absolutely no association whatsoever with mental institutions.

If you have an objection to anything I post, please discuss with me.  I may be willing to make the alternations myself.  In this instance, however, I think the usage common enough to be benign.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-15

I don’t think it’s benign because it’s out of context. In spite of our political bent, this is not a political forum. Unlike news outlets which can get away with extremes, we don’t have thousands of readers, so out of respect, I prefer we keep the titles as inoffensive as possible while still getting the point across. 

MerlinsDad

Aug-15

It's perfectly in context given the situation, if you've read the opinion piece.   Roose's use is "In some ways, it's as if the inmates are now running the asylum. Trump effectively turned the GOP into a padded-cell madhouse where up could be down, left could be right and blue could be green...if he decided so. And now the fringiest adherents have swiped the keys from the few remaining guards that were hoping to keep the place in order."

It's a common American English idiom, which is why I quoted the example from Free Dictionary.  As I said, if you object to my usage, please consult with me, and let's discuss it before you make a unilateral subjective decision. 

MerlinsDad

Aug-15

The forum is set up as a daily news forum.  Look at your folder titles: 

The Newsy You:  News of Today
The Serious You:  Politics
The Consumer You:  Marketplace
The Healthy You:  Health and Fitness Polls
The Spiritual You:  Religion
The Social You:  Interactive

and others

The only important topic I see missing is "Parkas or Swimsuits:  Weather"

Your folders invite discussion of daily events and observations, what's going on in our world. 

You claim it's an opinion forum; that includes, therefore, the conservative opinion pieces you post as well as the more moderate (or in this case, liberal) opinion pieces I post.   I should be given some latitude in using the titles of the opinion pieces I select for posting.  As I said, if you object, please consult with me before you make a subjective unilateral decision.  I may be willing to make changes.  In this case, however, it's a common idiom and is perfectly in context.  However, to prevent being shut down, I would be willing to modify it.  Roose has several choice statements to chose from.

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-15

Assume most people who find our forum have not read that obscure article.  I’m not going to argue. From now on, any discussion title that could offend a protected group, including disabled people may be changed. 

Showtalk
Staff

Aug-15

I’m not going to shut it down and I will discuss it with you if you like before changing anything, unless it’s urgent and you are not around.

BTW,  Cstar liked to say that a forum is not a democracy.  If she felt like changing anything, title, deletion, etc, she did it and did not ask anyone else.

• Edited August 15, 2020 8:23 pm  by  Showtalk
MerlinsDad

Aug-15

I know you are the final authority.  I am not asking for democracy.  I'm asking you to pay me a personal courtesy, since I am willing to make my own changes, if it comes to that.  I don't want to lose the sense of the post. 

I appreciate the concession.  I am as cautious as I can be since I know that you often disagree with me, and, as I said, I thought this idiom was sufficiently in the common vernacular to be uncontroversial.  I also understand that, as the ultimate authority, you may not agree.  That's why I suggest that we need to discuss issues like the one which came up today. 

I usually come to the computer twice a day -- very early in the morning before I go out to work in the yard.  And late in the afternoon or in the early evening.