Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Showtalk

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Will Trump successfully steal the election?   The Serious You: How Current Events Affect You

Started 8/14/20 by MerlinsDad; 2001 views.
MerlinsDad

8/18/20

Watching  his tampering with the United States Postal System is stirring up more than he can handle

I certainly hope so.

The House of Representatives will meet Saturday to vote on a resolution to halt the operational changes DeJoy is making and to approve $25 Billion in funding to the USPS.  

Of course, McConnell will never bring it to the floor of the Senate. 

MerlinsDad said:

Maybe we can watch the events in Beirut to get an idea of what might happen. They been fighting government corruption; they had their port destroyed, so getting food in will be difficult. Hundreds of thousands are homeless; they have a health care crisis.

We don't have corruption that bad, yet.

Although there was the time the EPA made some kind of FUBAR that dumped millions of gallons of highly toxic mine tailing leachings into the Animas River in Colorado, and then no one was ever held accountable to my knowledge.

But when they do screw up here, they do it on a grand scale, but the sheer vastness of the nation also kind of limits how far the damage from, say, 2,700 tons of fertilizer that goes high order, can reach.

MerlinsDad

8/18/20

You're right.  They had a serious problem with corruption and that has lead to serious inflation.  With their food, housing, and medical care problems, it's going to get a lot worse, even with as much foreign aid as they've received.

Although there was the time the EPA made some kind of FUBAR that dumped millions of gallons of highly toxic mine tailing leachings into the Animas River in Colorado, and then no one was ever held accountable to my knowledge

Seems that problem occurs ever few years.   I seem to recall a incident (I just looked it up) in West Virginia.  This from widipedia

The Elk River chemical spill occurred on January 9, 2014 when crude 4-Methylcyclohexanemethanol (MCHM) was released from a Freedom Industries facility into the Elk River, a tributary of the Kanawha River, in Charleston in the U.S. state of West Virginia.

The chemical spill occurred upstream from the principal West Virginia American Water intake and treatment and distribution center. Following the spill, up to 300,000 residents within nine counties in the Charleston, West Virginia metropolitan area were without access to potable water. The areas affected were portions of Boone, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam, and Roane counties and the Culloden area of Cabell County.

But when they do screw up here, they do it on a grand scale, but the sheer vastness of the nation also kind of limits how far the damage from, say, 2,700 tons of fertilizer that goes high order, can reach

Depends on where it's stored.  If it's in a resident area, it could cause serious problems,  If in a rural area, it would just be a big hole with few casualties. 

MerlinsDad said:

If it's in a resident area, it could cause serious problems, If in a rural area, it would just be a big hole with few casualties.

Yeah - if it's halfway between Borger and Dumas, it would make headlines, wipe out some unlucky farmers' wheat or cotton or corn crop and some grazing livestock, and break a lot of windows. But most people would just post pictures of the mushroom cloud on Instagram, and compare it to a big tornado.

However, if it were to go off at the dock at, say, the Norfolk naval station, it would be a whole lot worse.

BWArtist

8/19/20

The combination of new technology and retirement obligations bring the postal service to the mercy  of indifferent ignorance. You obviously don't depend on them to run your business. Or your meds. USPS is a lifeline for your fellow citizen.

Here is the most balanced article I could find on the subject,

Showtalk
Host

8/19/20

I got a little lost. Switching them to Medicare would fix it?

MerlinsDad

8/19/20

However, if it were to go off at the dock at, say, the Norfolk naval station, it would be a whole lot worse.

Or even in a warehouse in the business of any large or medium sized city

BWArtist

8/20/20

From what I;m hearing lately is congress gains control of all that money the USPS  kicked in to fund their pension fund 75 years out. That is if USPS gets privatized. Our present cronie of Trump, who is our postmaster , could capture those funds too. As he is heavily invested in companies that could replace the service from what we have now.

I wonder what kind of cut Trump gets to steer all this to his cronie?

Yeah according to Forbes it's just an issue of Federal Care or Medicare.But with Trump he capitalizes on circumstance. In this case, established political handicapping by the republicans from years ago.

But now, Trump needs an electoral diversion and a way to demonize voting by mail. So him and his juiced in postmaster need to speed the scam up. With Bannon now in handcuffs, Maybe Stevie can be persuaded to explain more details in the Mueller investigation. Which could eventually pull weakest links in the Trump overall corruption.

Your defending this corrupt president might just come back and bite you  in the butt. I'd start looking at things a bit more closer before you defend everything with Trump's smell on it.

kizmet1

8/20/20

LOL. You are very funny. I bet you could rewrite Cinderella or Snow White into stories where everyone but the witches are criminals? I would be afraid to let a child see what you could do to The Ugly Duckling.
Msg 4242.36 deleted