Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Are you going to support Goodyear Tires?   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Aug-20 by Showtalk; 1179 views.
Showtalk said:

Law enforcement buys a lot of tires.

I can see the little one liner on page 43 "county sheriff's office awards tire contract to Michelin, drops long-standing Goodyear bid"

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-3

Michelin makes better tires, but Goodyear has a bullet proof or resistant line.  Maybe they all do.

I think the high security "run flat" vehicles have these inserts inside the wheels, or even a hard steel / rubber boot-like rigid device that will contact the pavement and let the car still travel about 55 mph or so even with all 4 tires flat.

about the only way to make a tire bullet resistant, is you mount it on a wheel that it will then be "married" to forever as once the process is done, there is no non-destructive way to remove the tire from the wheel.

Then you put the whole assembly in a vacuum chamber, and then inject high density close cell foam into the tire instead of air. Starting with a near vacuum, you don't get air pocket voids of non-uniform foam. The whole thing is then rotated to keep the material fully balanced as it cures. Once the foam is fully cured the tire / wheel assembly is then given a final balancing.

Even if it is shot through and through, the foam holds the rest of the air in place and keeps the tire inflated.

We use foam like this in agricultural equipment tires where there is a high risk of running over something or other. Usually the front wheels of tractors, all the wheels on large riding mowers, etc. can be filled with foam to make them puncture-proof.

Then you have to replace the wheel and tire when the tread finally wears out.

For certain limousines and things, they don't normally put that much mileage on the tires compared to normal working class commuters, and the price tag is so high for the armored limo tricked out with all the James Bond weaponry and such, that replacing the wheels with the tires is just a drop in the bucket.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-4

That is true, but they are limited and probably very expensive. 

Showtalk said:

That is true, but they are limited and probably very expensive

But there are also a very limited number of elites who would have a demand for such expensive and limited products.

It won't really move the needle much when it comes to the number of armored limousines on the road and the miles driven by them per year compared to the average Joe Sixpack commuting to the soul-crushing job at the call center, then the subsequent job search when he can't keep up with the impossible metrics, then the commute to the soul-crushing job at the WalMart 60 miles from home because management refuses to let him transfer to the one 3 blocks away.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-5

No, most people use ordinary tires.  Even those enormous monster truck tires are more of a specialty item.

I thought most of those used tractor tires.

Which reminds me, I need to remind someone about their tractor tire / safety situation again on Tuesday morning so they can process an order that should have been done months before the pandemic.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-7

Maybe so, I don’t know enough about specialty tires.

Some specialty tires for things like mining equipment can cost over $150,000 per tire. But then we're talking maybe a gigantic 30 foot tall and 50 foot wide and 100 foot long dump truck that can haul 400 tons of ore out of the mine pit in a single trip.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-7

Yes, but that isn’t the average Goodyear customer.