Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Deceptive political videos on Facebook and Twitter   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-1 by MerlinsDad; 1129 views.

The rubber in the belts and tires becomes more brittle with time as volatile softening compounds slowly leach out and evaporate over the years. Eventually the rubber just becomes so brittle it snaps or crumbles, and even alcohol can't replenish the proper volatile organic compounds once they are gone.

Depending on the precise ratio of substances, these kinds of rubber can last for a decade or more then one morning just crumble into dust, or have chunks stick to metal pinch rollers and other components.

Those mechanical parts are the biggest Achille's Heels of camcorders, VCRs, old cassette and open reel tape decks, phonographs, anything with motor driven mechanical parts.

There are some more exotic synthetic materials that have been developed to restore vintage equipment. Kevlar fabric reinforced Delrin and Viton are two that come to mind, as well as certain silicone based synthetic rubber and elastomer materials.

Nylon and polyester type gears and wheels can also deteriorate over time, sometimes from very slow chemical reactions with the volatile compounds that leach out of the belts and tires, and these become brittle and suddenly teeth break or even an entire gear can suddenly crumble during use.

A lot of this I learned watching British episodes of "The Repair Shop" where museum curator restoration experts often make family heirlooms whole again.

kizmet1

Sep-12

there are about a doezn or so electronic stores here. You think any if them would carry parts or know where to get them ?
I was originally told by someone at Fry's to clean parts with Q tip. I have the cleaning fluid but have not been brave enough to try it. In the meantime I discovered portable hard drives.
  • Edited September 12, 2020 3:15 am  by  kizmet1

If they have a recommended cleaning solution, that's the stuff to use.

It is probably similar to the stuff used to condition flippers and bumpers in old pinball machines.

kizmet1

Sep-13

I have no idea. Never needed to know what the inside of a pinball machine was like.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-13

I can’t understand why you are not more curious about the mechanics of a pinball machine.

kizmet1

Sep-13

Guess there was something lackibg in my upbringing although I wanted a toy one as a very young child.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-13

I wanted a real one. Friends had an old one so I got to use that a lot.

kizmet1

Sep-13

Now that you mention it, I knew someone who had one. Cannot remember where. Still would have liked a toy one.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-13

If it worked it would be fun.

kizmet1

Sep-14

Yes,keep people busy the old fashioned way.