Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Favorite breakfast food   The Ravenous You: Food, Glorious Food

Started Sep-2 by Showtalk; 1412 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Sep-2

Favorite breakfast food
  • Eggs1  vote
    5%
  • Eggs and meat (bacon, sausage, etc')3  votes
    17%
  • Cold cereal1  vote
    5%
  • Hot cereal or oatmeal0  votes
    0%
  • Grits0  votes
    0%
  • Grits and something else2  votes
    11%
  • Yogurt0  votes
    0%
  • Fruit0  votes
    0%
  • Fruit and yogurt0  votes
    0%
  • Cereal and fruit2  votes
    11%
  • Hot cocoa0  votes
    0%
  • Just coffee1  vote
    5%
  • Just tee0  votes
    0%
  • Lunch or dinner food1  vote
    5%
  • A combination of the above1  vote
    5%
  • I skip breakfast0  votes
    0%
  • It varies from day to day3  votes
    17%
  • Other2  votes
    11%
Eggs 
Eggs and meat (bacon, sausage, etc') 
Cold cereal 
Hot cereal or oatmeal 
Grits 
Grits and something else 
Yogurt 
Fruit 
Fruit and yogurt 
Cereal and fruit 
Hot cocoa 
Just coffee 
Just tee 
Lunch or dinner food 
A combination of the above 
I skip breakfast 
It varies from day to day 
Other 
kizmet1

Sep-2

I usually have leftover fish or chicken with bone in soup simmered for an hour. Always proten, no starches or fruit.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

I’m glad I have an option for you. That would be lunch or dinner food.

kizmet1

Sep-2

Sort of the way I eat. Bigger meal in AM. Sometimes I am too tired to have dinner.
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-2

Then your way makes the most sense.

kizmet1

Sep-3

I've tried everything and it is best for me.

It varies, because I'm usually not enough of a morning person to do breakfast and still get anything else done on time. So for most of my life I've been completely dependent on external factors if breakfast is going to happen, due to a lifetime of chronic tardiness.

I can create the illusion of normalcy if I have a day or two that I can force myself to do absolutely nothing but sleep, then I can abruptly do breakfast just like normal people. But rising so early comes with a high price. I can't sustain it for more than a couple of days, unless there's a pretty rigid structure around me to keep me synchronized.

Naturally I will revert to night owl really fast, where having to interface with the normal world there's never time for breakfast - I have to pre-shower the night before and lay everything out, pre-load everything in the vehicle, because I'm going to be in such a morning stupor that I'm incredibly cognitively impaired, so everything has to run on autopilot.

For the past couple of months, the virus impact has really shone a spotlight on just how unmoored from the tyranny of the clock I can become in only a couple of days.

Or a better way to describe it is a lifetime of "chronic social jet lag" where from the moment I'm awake I'm frantically running behind and trying to catch up, then effectively no productivity until at least noon.

Instead of the tyranny of the clock, though, the oppressive heat has been the terrible master. And thus I'd sleep all day long under the a/c while it's too hot out to be productive anyway, and get my most productive stuff done on the "graveyard shift".

And so I'd eat breakfast again for the first time in years, usually closer to 7 or 8 PM, and be fully awake and alert finally by about 9 to 10 PM, since I don't have to (normally) race the clock like a hamster running frantically in a cage.

Without a hard deadline to beat the clock, I've found I have far less stress, etc. but also eating schedules have gotten a little less structured as well.

So I'll sometimes fix bacon and eggs at, say, 9 to 11 PM and call that breakfast, since if it takes me till midnight to really start the day, that's fine when the afternoon high was 115 degrees f and by then it's fallen to 80.

then lunch might be about 4:30 AM give or take a while - whenever I'd feel hungry or have a good stopping point that is logical, then I might skip dinner entirely as I sleep best on an empty stomach.

So the routine pre-pandemic was often - skip breakfast because of the time squeeze, and either snack on things stashed at the office to start slowly catching up to the clock, and really pig out for lunch, and I'd finally have gotten productive momentum about the time most people are ending their day.

Such has always been the plight of the night owl. Stuck in Central Time (UTC-5) but one's body functioning at the time zone just this side of the International Date Line.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-3

Good. I think as we get older we kind of settle into the foods that work best for us.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-3

We are forced into what is considered normal schedules by work and school schedules.  But if left to their own devices, some people are naturally morning people and some are naturally night people. It sounds like you know what works best for you.

kizmet1

Sep-3

Definitely! I like to read cookbooks and try out various recipes. I have taught myself to love things I had once avoided, like beans and rice. I realized that I loved the food I had avoided but disliked the way all my relatives cooked it. I can now cook in several languages without a cookbook and enjoy every last bite.