Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The pandemic has been good for one kind of worker: robots   The Healthy You: Health and Fitness Polls

Started Sep-5 by MerlinsDad; 320 views.
MerlinsDad

Sep-5

The pandemic has been good for one kind of worker: robots.  Now that any job involving human contact is considered hazardous, demand for mechanical replacements has skyrocketed.

news item by David Berreby, September 3
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/09/how-pandemic-is-good-for-robots/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=crm-email::src=ngp::cmp=editorial::add=SpecialEdition_20200904&rid=792B54E58091755FC36E32ED38715B43

Demand for robots that can do human chores has skyrocketed around the world. As of early July, robots of all sorts were directly involved fighting the pandemic in at least 33 nations, according to Robotics for Infectious Diseases, an organization of researchers. COVID-19 is driving robots into aspects of daily life where they've seldom or never been seen before.

This is a limited number of reads site, but it's a fascinating article on the uses of robots during the pandemic.

BWArtist

Sep-5

I was watching documentaries about AI development on German TV. One small but very huge aspect in robot development is in AI replacing the mundane and unpleasant tasks of nursing home care. The development of such technology not only has to perform well every time, but it must also do the job with dignity. Certainly we are raising the bar on AI.

I've decided when it's time for a robot to wipe my butt, I'm going to call her Greta. Of course it must be named in the female persuasion. Much like old sailors called their ships as female.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-5

That is interesting, I posted another article here the other day about the robotic pizza and coffee shops that located because people did. It not want food prepared by robots. I’m curious to see which trend takes over.

MerlinsDad

Sep-5

Why Greta?  Bad experience with a Greta at some remote time in the past?

I found this passage in the article very interesting

For example, one team of eager robot engineers approached an Italian hospital last spring with a design for a robot that could deliver food to patients. They soon learned that for isolated COVID-19 patients, mealtime “was the only time they saw people socially," Murphy explains.

So the roboticists switched problems. Instead of replacing the humans who delivered meals, they created a simple tele-presence robot that could visit patients and provide a live link to a loved one

What we crave most is human contact.  In hospitals and nursing homes, the robots can do the grunt work and let the trained peopel deal with the patients, perhaps with even more time available because of the robots.  That would be a good thing.

BWArtist

Sep-6

MerlinsDad said

What we crave most is human contact.  In hospitals and nursing homes, the robots can do the grunt work and let the trained people deal with the patients, perhaps with even more time available because of the robots.  That would be a good thing.

Sounds like that is the direction it should go. Pretty hard to teach a robot to understand empathy so as to understand dignity. Heck it's hard to teach a reality tv star playing a president to understand that too.
BWArtist

Sep-6

MerlinsDad said:

Why Greta?  Bad experience with a Greta at some remote time in the past?

Greta is German for Pearl. Greta isn't just cleaning me up. She's treating me like an oyster seeding me to grow more pearls. At least in one old man's mind. Trying to find the humor in what becomes a sorry situation.

Just don't mix up the meat cutter robots with the nursing home robots.

MerlinsDad

Sep-6

Our most important role, as robots become more prevalent, is being human. 

MerlinsDad

Sep-6

Ha!  I got it.  I studied Spanish and French, not German, so I missed it.  Very clever.

I presume that in the near future robots will do the programming.  We presume that the bar codes will serve to keep them from such a mix up.