Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Bezonomics   The Consumer You: Marketplace

Started Sep-5 by Alfi (THIALFI); 2157 views.
Showtalk
Staff

Oct-1

But you learned something. How many never learn?

Showtalk said:

How many never learn?

Quite a few of them.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-2

I would say most move in to the next thing rather than taking useful knowledge from what they have.

Showtalk said:

I would say most move in to the next thing rather than taking useful knowledge from what they have.

That's the people who fail their way all the way up to the top in some occupations. It's also why we end up with quite a few disasters - because someone rose to a level of their incompetence and didn't know they were incompetent.

"I see incompetent people. They're walking around like you and me. They don't even know they're incompetent."

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-2

Or they are good at a few things but aren’t doing them at work.

Sometimes there's a mismatch between the jobs one can get and their actual talents. Sometimes that mismatch is enormous and goes on for a lifetime.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-3

Yes, it’s true it’s easier to get onto a career path when one is younger, can learn on the job and doesn’t mind entry level pay. Ideally one works up skills and pay grade.  But at least in the US. people have an option. In Japan, for example, if someone is trained in computer science but the first job they can get out of college is retail sales, they may be stuck in retail sales their entire lives.  A friend’s son went back to school at age 42, got trained in a new area and was able to get a job. Oddly enough, the new job is not exactly what he learned in school, it’s a hands on type of mechanical equipment work vs on a computer, but it is similar enough he was able to work on the job and learn enough. It was a pay cut but has much more potential down the road than before.

Younger employees don’t have loyalty to companies so some job movement is acceptable to employers. They don’t have a choice.  

Showtalk said:

But at least in the US. people have an option. In Japan, for example, if someone is trained in computer science but the first job they can get out of college is retail sales, they may be stuck in retail sales their entire lives.

I've read about that. Sad, really, because then they pretty much are trapped for a lifetime in a career they are not as well suited for.

This may also be one of the forces driving the whole baby bust in Japan, and the rapidly aging population. I forget the exact median age now in Japan but it's way up there, and as that generation starts growing sick and dying off, it will put a huge strain on the health care system. Then the population goes over a cliff much like a roller coaster that reached its peak and as it crests it, the drop is nearly vertical.

People don't have children when they are unhappy and don't see an end to the unhappiness, probably because they are mentally more in bare survival mode. Same if one's job pressures take up so much time that forming or maintaining relationships takes a back seat.

japan is notorious for the tests that become a lifetime "make or break" scenario. Even in the 1970s I was reading about the high suicide rate among young people whose score on these tests meant they were never going to enjoy a middle class lifestyle, ever.

It also is a huge driving force for the "Herbivore" movement over there. Trapped with no hope for upward mobility, a huge number of young people are idle because of lost opportunity that only comes around once in life.

Showtalk
Staff

Oct-3

The culture needs to change at least enough to give adults more opportunities.  Even someone who gets into a prized career could burn out after a while.

People have said the culture there needs to change for decades, at least going back into the 1970s or so. Seems like they will only really address it when they run off the edge of the cliff.