Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

White supremacy is 'most lethal threat' to the US, DHS draft assessment says   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-9 by MerlinsDad; 1815 views.
MerlinsDad

Sep-9

news item by Geneva Sands September 8
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/politics/white-supremacy-dhs-draft-assessment/index.html

bolding mine --MD

White supremacists will remain the most "persistent and lethal threat" in the United States through 2021, according to Department of Homeland Security draft documents.

The most recent draft report predicts an "elevated threat environment at least through" early next year, concluding that some US-based violent extremists have capitalized on increased social and political tensions in 2020.

Although foreign terrorist organizations will continue to call for attacks on the US, the report says, they "probably will remain constrained in their ability to direct such plots over the next year."

The threat assessment -- which also warns of continued disinformation efforts by Russia -- is especially notable as President Donald Trump has often employed race-baiting tactics in his quest for reelection and frequently downplayed the threat from white supremacists during his term in office. The Trump administration has portrayed Antifa and anarchists as a top threat to the US, with the President tweeting this summer that the US will designate Antifa as a terrorist organization.
The recently released draft reports, which were made public by Lawfare Editor in Chief Benjamin Wittes and first reported by Politico, assess a host of threats, including cyber, foreign influence and irregular migration.

All three drafts state that white supremacist extremists are the deadliest threat. However, the placement and language about white supremacy in three versions of the DHS draft documents differ slightly.
"I don't want to criticize them when that language is there. That said it is somewhat different in the first draft than the subsequent two and I do think the nature of the change is notable as a reflection of the political pressure they are under," he [Lawfare Editor in Chief Benjamin Wittes] said.
kizmet1

Sep-9

Good. I am all for "white supremacy". I am tired of living in fear I thought I got rid of years ago after being terrified by riots in the 60's when MLK died. My friends and relatives never did anything to hurt people of other races but were singled out due to the fair coloring some if us had. These stupid news articles and the people who print them are playing into the hands of very extreme and dangerous people
  • Edited September 9, 2020 4:14 pm  by  kizmet1
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

I’m not in favor of any violence, but their numbers are way off, as usual.  

MerlinsDad

Sep-9

Sorry you had a such a bad experience.

kizmet1

Sep-9

It is not just my experience. It is the fact that the topic of blacks being treated wrongly is all we hear about, over and over and over. Who wants to have anything to do with people who are causing destruction and hurting people on a daily/nightly basis. Those people deserve to be at the bottom.
We rarely hear about other races. They are busy finding honest ways to get ahead in life.
In reply toRe: msg 1
MerlinsDad

Sep-9

This is getting very interesting.  There's been a whistleblower -- Brian Murphy, who has filed a formal complaint.   [Murphy previously oversaw the intelligence division at the department but was reassigned this summer after it was revealed his office had gathered intelligence reports on two US journalists.]

news item by Zachary Cohen, September 9
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics/dhs-whistleblower-white-supremacist-threat/index.html

bolding mine --MD

A whistleblower is alleging that top political appointees in the Department of Homeland Security repeatedly instructed career officials to modify intelligence assessments to suit President Donald Trump's agenda by downplaying Russia's efforts to interfere in the US and the threat posed by White supremacists, according to documents reviewed by CNN and a source familiar with the situation.

The whistleblower claims that acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf instructed DHS officials earlier this year to "cease providing intelligence assessments on the threat of Russian interference" and, instead, focus their efforts on gathering information related to activities being carried out by China and Iran.
The complaint also alleges that Wolf and Cuccinelli, both Trump appointees, directed officials to change intelligence assessments to ensure they matched up with misleading public comments from Trump about Antifa and "anarchist" groups, according to a complaint filed with the DHS inspector general.
Separately, both Wolf and Cuccinelli also tried to alter a report to downplay the threat posed by White supremacists and instead emphasize the role of leftist groups due to concerns about how the initial language would reflect on the President, according to a source familiar with the claims raised by the whistleblower.
The article goes in in greater detail  I hope you will read it.
I will keep an eye on this because it could get really interesting before we have resolution.
MerlinsDad

Sep-9

We'll have to wait to find out.

MerlinsDad

Sep-9

Sorry things have been so bad for you.

kizmet1

Sep-9

Not just me. Many, man, many others. Think about all the residents of Portland who have been having their neighborhoods attacked by crazy people every single night for 100 nights in a row.
MerlinsDad

Sep-9

And I am deeply concerned for them.