Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Trump actually did something good, something of major importance, in his efforts   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-9 by MerlinsDad; 293 views.
MerlinsDad

Sep-9

I've been accused of not saying anything good about Trump, and, indeed, he makes it incredibly difficult to do so.  Given his environmental history, this is purely an effort to win votes, but he has actually done something good, something of major significance.

News item by Annie Karni and Lisa Friedman, September 8
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/us/politics/trump-drilling-environment-florida.html

bolding mine ==MD

President Trump, who has vowed to exit the Paris Agreement on climate change, loosened restrictions on toxic air pollution, rolled back clean water protections and removed climate change from a list of national security threats, stood in front of supporters in Jupiter, Fla., on Tuesday and declared himself “a great environmentalist.

Mr. Trump was speaking at an official presidential event, where he endorsed a 10-year moratorium on oil and gas drilling off the state’s coastline as well as the Georgia and South Carolina coasts — a feat of political jujitsu, since his administration is the one that proposed lifting the moratorium.

(In 2018, the Trump administration dropped only Florida from a list of places where it wanted to lift a moratorium on virtually all offshore oil drilling after strong opposition from Rick Scott, the state’s Republican governor at the time.)

It was an extraordinary attempt to recast his environmental record in a state battered by hurricanes and coastal flooding, where voters from both parties express widespread concern about climate change.

There are few other policy arenas where a rewrite of the past three and a half years could be so jarring.

But the environment is in a category of its own, because in claiming the mantle of environmentalism, Mr. Trump is in fact repudiating one of his administration’s undeniable policy accomplishments: the stunning rollback in less than four years of environmental regulations that go back decades, including not just Obama-era climate change rules but even the National Environmental Policy Act, a bedrock law signed 50 years ago, which he has moved to unilaterally weaken.

The president has called climate change a hoax, weakened oversight of drilling in federal waters, opened up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas companies and moved to repeal about 100 environmental regulations.

Yet on Tuesday, he congratulated his administration for what he called “our incredible record of natural conservation and environmental protection.”

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

This is not political?  We need to change the title or it violates our new policy.  No talking about candidates. Otherwise we will be back to where we were before. 

MerlinsDad

Sep-9

Trump actually did something good.  After all the damage he's done to the environment, he did something positive.  I think we all need to know that. It's very important, even if was only to win votes in Florida and Georgia.   If you do not agree that we all need to know how important this is, then do what you wish.  I don't care.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-9

You have no idea how demeaning the title sounds as well as the whole topic, and it’s exactly the kind of political games I’m trying to avoid.   There is no way this discussion is a compliment.  I’m going to change the title myself and if anymore hit pieces are posted, disguised or otherwise, they will be closed and move off the forum until after the election.  Most do not want to read this kind of thing about Trump anymore between now and the election, they want to relax and have fun.

MerlinsDad

Sep-9

if anymore hit pieces are posted, disguised or otherwise, they will be closed and move off the forum until after the election

This is something of major importance and I treated it as such.

You have no idea how demeaning the title sounds

No.  I don't.  I thought it was very gentle, and it's certainly not political Yes, I'm genuinely delighted that Trump did it considering all the damage he's done to the environment;  I live in Georgia and dislike off shore drilling and drilling in public lands.  This is very important to my state and to Florida.  Yes, he did it to win votes, but that doesn't lessen the significance.   If you want to water it down or make it appear less important than it is, that's your prerogative.

I presume that only you will decide whether or not it's a "hit" piece rather than legitimate news?  Most of what I post are news items, as this was.  If it's an opinion piece, I say so.  I quote extensively from my sources and often use the title of the article as my title.

Recently, we agreed that we would together resolve any issues with titles.  I hope you are not changing the rules.  I think you already have changed some of the rules, and I'd like to protest. 

Reading news is relaxing and having fun for me; I love doing the research and pulling my thoughts together to make a post.  It's my way to relax.

We need to find a peaceful resolution to this.  You wrote recently that we are "friends." 

This is a very important election. and I am acutely interested in it and in all the side issues.  Others don't have to read my posts, but I should not be gagged.  I feel that you are trying to restrict me specifically because I strongly oppose a candidate which seems to be popular with the majority of the others, including yourself.  As I said above, they don't need to read my posts, and most of them don't.  The expression of my opinions should not interfere with their ability to relax and have fun.  I rarely respond to any post that is not a direct response to one of mine.   

As I said, we need to negotiate a peaceful settlement so that I am permitted to post what I find interesting and important, just as the others are -- this is, after all,  supposed to be an opinion forum, and I have opinions.  You have me so intimidated that I am reluctant to post the information from the Woodward tapes -- direct quotations from Trump -- although I think it important that we all know what was said to Woodward about Covid_19.  I would entitle it simply "What we all need to know about Covid_19.  I should not feel intimidated about posting something as important as Trump's change in policy about off-shore drilling or his comments about the virus, but I do because of what you've said about this important post.   

• Edited September 10, 2020 7:58 am  by  MerlinsDad
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-10

“Actually did something good” is not a compliment.

No, if you were gagged, you you have no reply button.  I’m not trying intimidate you at all, I am just trying to follow the wishes of most people coming to the forum who don’t want to be slammed with one sided politics in so many posts.  I am so sick of,politics, I can’t even tell you how I dread open up yet another political discussion.  You misunderstand my point and my purpose here.  I was trying to balance it, but it’s impossible. I tried before to reduce the number of negative political topics with hints, and when that didn’t work, I postponed them until after the election. Then we can reevaluate.

MerlinsDad

Sep-10

Sorry you don't see my praise of Trump for doing sometime good, something of major importance, as praise.  As I said, what he did is good for my state, Florida, and South Carolina, and I was delighted to see it, especially since he has already done such severe damage to the environment.

I was trying to balance it, but it’s impossible. I tried before to reduce the number of negative political topics with hints, and when that didn’t work, I postponed them until after the election. Then we can reevaluate.

I don't understand this statement.

I am so sick of,politics, I can’t even tell you how I dread open up yet another political discussion.

You're not obligated to read mine.  

I’m not trying intimidate you at all, I am just trying to follow the wishes of most people coming to the forum who don’t want to be slammed with one sided politics in so many posts

I don't understand why people are not more interested in the news.  Things are currently really interesting, but they're not obligated to read my posts.  With Zeta, my name appears below the post title.  It's easy to avoid mine. 

Reading the news, pulling the various news items and my thoughts together, and putting together a coherent post is the way I relax. For me, it's an entertaining and fun hobby (and inexpensive), and I would hate being forced to give it up.   Occasionally I get into political, but for the most part I concentrate on the day's news, like Trump extending the moratorium on off-shore drilling, and, because I do, I think I provide a wide variety of topics of varying degrees of interest to a variety of folks. 

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-10

And there lies the problem. Because you love going after Trump, you don’t have any concept of how it appears to others to see daily negative discussions about him.  I do have to read every post.  Hosts do that.  I mainly look to make sure people are not flaming, but I also need to look at content.  Most people are not that political. They may take political sides but they don’t live their lives immersed in it.  I wasn’t that into online politics, but reading all the posts here, I began noticing a trend in media articles being posted. They are almost all virulently anti Trump, most are vicious hate pieces, and some are just plain wrong.  I also began wondering why one side could post those and if anyone posted any other sides or viewpoints, they were verbally pressured into finding proof on accepted sites.  It was extremely lopsided.

As an example, I got some commentary about the Woodward book. Some say it shows that Trump was trying not to terrify the American people or sound hopeless.  Some say he lied and downplayed the seriousness of the virus.  Sara Sanders also wrote a book and I bet you haven’t heard one word about it. Woodward spent 17 sessions with Trump. Sanders was with him daily for years. So, who knows him better?  My point is that as long as the press are biased, we can never get a true picture on anything political. All we were getting here were one sided pieces designed to portray Trump in a way to stop his re-election instead of just giving people the facts and let them decide for themselves. Or even worse, have a simple discussion that was not designed to change opinions. When I decided to balance it out by finding information on the other side, I was constantly barraged with CNN and similar articles and then told any counter arguments I found were not from reliable sources.  After months of that, I had enough. it drove home the fact that when talking politics, people are not allowed to share different opinions online.

• Edited September 10, 2020 11:06 pm  by  Showtalk
MerlinsDad

Sep-11

Because you love going after Trump, you don’t have any concept of how it appears to others to see daily negative discussions about him.

I don't "love" going after Trump.  He does it to himself.  When he finally does something good, and I point it out, I'm criticized for it.  I can't win.

Because this forum is so awash with pro-Trump pieces, I try to provide some balance.

The majority of what I post are news items, clearly labeled and dated near the top -- as I said, Trump does it to himself; just reporting the events or what he says is all that's necessary, and that's what I try to do.  If it's an opinion piece I label it as such.  If it's my opinion, other than "I recommend this," or "This is worth reading," or "This is important." I clearly introduce it with "It is my opinion that. . . ."  The text is clearly indented as a quotation.  Sometimes, at the end I add a comment, but I don't usually need to do so.  I post numerous other items. 

I try to post daily news items on a variety of subjects that are of interest to all of us, so we can be informed citizens.  The world's a fascinating and interesting place, and I would hate to lose the sense of that fascination.

I haven't read any of the books that have come out of Trump's administration, and I won't. Yes, I'm aware of the Sara Huckaby Sanders book and have read excerpts on line by those trying to tout the book.  I read The Atlantic article in which Trump is alleged to have called American military "suckers" and "losers."  And I've read a number of excerpts from the Woodward tapes.  Trump indicts himself.

My point is that as long as the press are biased,

We strongly disagree.  There are many reliable sources.  And there are many which are not.

I am of the opinion that you are trying to suppress my posts.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-11

It’s very easy to blame someone else without looking at one’s own actions..  I’m not trying to suppress you. I have heard from several people who used to post more that they don’t like all the politics, or all the negativity. This is foremost a poll forum. Instead we have now 25 active posts about Trump. That is excessive under any circumstance but it also knocks off just about anything else I try to get going on a different subject.  If this forum had not been flooded with Trump posts, people would not have stopped posting.  When I first started here, the forum was only left.  Then people left and stopped posting. So it may seem it goes the other way but I would prefer it not be partisan either direction.  

To most people, Trump has done many good things but either you don’t know it or you are ignoring it.  The title here sounds like he’s done only one positive thing in four years. If you watched the RNC you would have seen that is not true at all.

Most important, this forum has never been a political forum, even though it had a “side.”  It used to have a variety of subjects and interesting things going on. In the last few months, it’s become extremely political.  You and I did not become friends over politics. We talked about libraries, pets, gardening, bugs and other fun subjects. What happened to fun topics? I want this forum to be fun for a lot of people.  I just heard a study that said most people in the U.S. don’t want to hear more about politics. Because we are almost all stuck at home, everyone is flooded with it al the time. The media has burned us out on political fighting.

If we had two dozen active polls and discussions on non political subjects, a few political posts would not be overwhelming. But we don’t and no matter how many polls I start, it doesn’t seem to happen.