Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-11

I just heard about it. Thank you, I was going to research it. Now I don’t have to.

”What if they gave a party and nobody came?”  What if they start football season and nobody watches?

It’s funny that a few years ago everyone predicted the end of football due to head injuries. Now they are using football to promote an ideology.  The ideology might kill football faster than the possibilities of head trauma.

• Edited September 11, 2020 1:41 pm  by  Showtalk
kizmet1

Sep-11

I don't care about pro sports but I will be curious to see how Brady does with new team mates.
Showtalk said:

”What if they gave a party and nobody came?” What if they start football season and nobody watches?

And I wonder what the cable subscription cancellation (or lapsing for nonpayment) figures have done since the pandemic? I'd suspect that with millions on unemployment, and thinking - do I pay the cable bill and have most of it go to ESPN and support a bunch of over-paid athletes who make more in one game than I'll earn in a lifetime, whether I want ESPN or not, or do I jettison that financial burden to at least delay homelessness or death from heat stroke this summer?

Many will choose a roof over their head and cool enough air to survive, and toss cable TV overboard as unnecessary baggage in an effort to lighten the ship and slow down it's sinking.

Millions of others still working may be thinking "I could be next" and jettisoned the cable package pre-emptively to build up a bit more of an emergency fund for the coming storm.

At least the smart ones did. A few are still in denial - the anti-mask Karens and a few others - but when their income abruptly goes away they will throw a temper tantrum and wish they had been more like the ant than the grasshopper in Aesop's fable.

And of course I haven't had cable and thus haven't had ESPN since 1982. So I don't have a dog in the fight - but it is amusing in a voyeuristic kind of way, watching those people who smugly thought they could get away with anything and still keep the status quo indefinitely. They are having a big cognitive dissonance moment. And some will remain in denial even after the gravy train for them has derailed.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-11

Yet the cable and streaming services dangle sports in front of subscribers as a positive. A lot of people don’t watch sports, and many hate sports.

Showtalk said:

Yet the cable and streaming services dangle sports in front of subscribers as a positive.

While many people see it as a subscription they are forced to get whether they want it or not, to get to the things they actually want to see.

ESPN has had the cable companies as a huge cash cow by foisting subscriptions onto customers as a condition to getting the remainder of a cable package for decades. And now with a rising tsunami of cord-cutters and a new generation of never-corders, that gravy train is starting to derail. So ESPN and the NFL seem to be doubling down rather than trying to pivot and shift their business model.

It's going to bite them, and big.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-12

Unfortunately, if you purchase an alternative streaming service, they are also starting to add sports, so even cord cutters are stuck paying for some. 

One possibility is that expensive sports networks will not be in a position to overcharge cable and other outlets as much for their programming.  So the overall price could come down for everyone.

and if sports are foisted that way, on streaming services, then people may choose to just turn their backs on the whole mess.

Of course some people are totally entangled in their addiction to entertainment of some kind and will pay whatever it takes, even if they have to stream on their phone from the car they end up living in, or the homeless encampments.

And some of us found it pretty easy to walk away from the whole thing rather than fiddle with trying to un-mix the things we don't like. Sort of like if one likes carrots but can't stand asparagus, and the only thing being served that has carrots is also mixed with asparagus, eventually one gives up the carrots as well as the steak.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-12

It’s challenging for people who want to watch some television but must pay for services they will never use.  Not everyone who cuts the cord plans to give it up. They usually do that because cable is so expensive, with a lot of hidden costs

Showtalk said:

Not everyone who cuts the cord plans to give it up. They usually do that because cable is so expensive, with a lot of hidden costs

and I suspect the tipping point was really reached a decade or so ago. There are captive markets and the virus lockdowns resulted in a sort of reversal, much like how the stern of the Titanic lifted back up out of the water for a few seconds once the bow broke away and reduced the deadweight, but it only delayed the final sinking by a brief while.