Opinion Polls: Delphi's Polling Place

Hosted by Cstar1

Opinion polls on all subjects. Opinions? Heck yes, we have opinions - but we're *always* nice about it, even when ours are diametrically opposed to yours. Register your vote today!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Do you believe the good economic prediction for Q3 2020? SNP   The Newsy You: News of Today

Started Sep-12 by Showtalk; 290 views.
Showtalk

Poll Question From Showtalk

Sep-12

Do you believe the good economic prediction for Q3 2020? SNP
  • Yes, jobs increased in August7  votes
    43%
  • I'm cautious but hopeful4  votes
    25%
  • I need more proof1  vote
    6%
  • No, don't agree3  votes
    18%
  • Other1  vote
    6%
Yes, jobs increased in August 
I'm cautious but hopeful 
I need more proof 
No, don't agree 
Other 
In reply toRe: msg 1
Showtalk
Staff

Sep-12

Alfi (THIALFI)

Sep-13

Other. I never believe ANY economic predictions.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-13

Actually, they said jobs already increased, and look like they will continue, but I get it.

kizmet1

Sep-14

I can give you an astrolocical guess.
Alfi (THIALFI)

Sep-14

I said I didn't make such predictions, I didn't say you couldn't. Of course, I don't believe anyone else's either.

Showtalk said:

Actually, they said jobs already increased, and look like they will continue, but I get it.

i wonder how many of those jobs are "McJobs" - low paid, no benefits, part time, dead end, not going up the ladder of success.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-17

I didn’t see a list. I can look.

At least here in the oil country, until President Biden bans fracking, people will have jobs that pay a living wage in the oil fields.

After that, gasoline will rise to new unprecedented heights due to acute oil shortages. The US will again become a major importer of oil, mostly from countries that really don't like us.

Unemployment in the region, sustained by the black gold under the ground, will soar to at least 50%. The crappy jobs still left will have fierce competition - such as call centers and telemarketers, and may require a masters' or doctorate degree to even get an interview. Nothing will pay a living wage except for of course government bureaucracy. Everyone else will be living in the kind of poverty that we normally think of in the Third World.

And of course taxes will go up so sharply that no one will dare think of starting a business again or even aspire for something approaching middle class standards of living. Once wealth taxes quickly exhaust the resources of the "rich", it will by necessity reach into the middle class savings, the 401K, the Roth IRA, and any other assets deemed "excessive" by the ruling regime. This will accelerate the trend towards hyperexploitative jobs that trap growing number of the population in working poor status, and force the aging Boomers to subsist on ever shrinking Social Security payments, with new draconian means testing where if you somehow have anything that is $1 over some bureaucrat imposed ceiling, you don't get anything at all that month - and if you starve, then that just helps reduce the "useless eaters" that were already close to the grave anyway and save the food and shelter for the young who have a few more years left in them tending the collective farms before their backs and knees give out.

Well maybe it won't be that dire but ... I've seen the economy collapse out here before, and it wasn't pretty. Also I remember how certain demographics even back then looked down their collective noses at us, sneering that we evil money grubbers finally got what we deserved.

Fracking breathed new life into the economy. It will be a humanitarian disaster when they ban it. But, hopefully some of us survivalist types who have been thinking - how do you feed and shelter yourself when gasoline is $20 a gallon and unemployment is 80% - and what trappings of middle class living are we ready to jettison and what are we ready to take underground / black market to get ahead of the curve.

I suspect that the more enterprising will turn to barter again, maybe a far less formal system than there has been in the past. And being able to travel on foot or bicycle (horses are too expensive these days) and go to a 19th century type lifestyle could be a lifesaver in a fully collapsed economy where participation in the monetary system becomes an unattainable pipe dream for many.

Showtalk
Staff

Sep-24

You become like California and ban gas powered cars. 

Calif. to ban sale of new gas powered cars in 2035

Watch "Calif. to ban sale of new gas powered cars in 2035", a CBSN video on CBSNews.com. View more CBSN videos and watch CBSN, a live news stream featuring original CBS News reporting.